Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on February 26, 2022, 04:29:22 PM
From CNN:

QuoteUkraine closes borders to Russia and Belarus
From CNN's Sebastian Shukla in Kyiv

Ukraine is closing its borders to Russia and Belarus, Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal announced Saturday evening.

In a video statement posted on Telegram, Shmyhal said beginning Monday, February 28, only Ukrainian citizens will be allowed to cross from Russia and Belarus into Ukraine.

Err ... :unsure:
Talk about closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.

DGuller

Russians are claiming that Ukrainians are surrendering and are showing the clips of the captured POWs.  Apparently it's so bad for Ukrainians that some have already surrendered twice.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on February 26, 2022, 04:59:49 PM
Well done on that.
Yeah - and on doors and bolted horses, love that he said that after he'd already said "civilised" and "relatively" European (:huh:) :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2022, 04:56:56 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 26, 2022, 04:49:21 PM
Kyiv

Jacob, this poster is cleared and he can stay.

Here we use Kænugarður when referring to the city, the original Old Norse name. :nerd:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Bigger than SWIFT - EU and US agree to sanction the Russian central bank. Very solid.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Accept everyone. Who are we to demand those men die for their country?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Heart-breakingly resonant image of Ukrainians waiting to get the train to Poland :(
https://twitter.com/TanyaKozyreva/status/1497662931588296709?s=20&t=1hz-1GgTxIJDW4FKON1rdw

The railway service is also running evacuation trains from Kyiv to Lviv.
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

Quote from: Legbiter on February 26, 2022, 01:48:37 PM
Yeah too far in to back out now. I'm too old to think this war will end well for Ukraine or Zelinsky, there will not be some Marvel movie deus ex machina twist to save the day. The Russians will grind them down with huge casualties. Zelinsky if I had to guess will either end up dead like Imray Nagy after 1956 or taken to Moscow in chains like Alexander Dubček in 1968.

I think that Zelinsky believes that he will be killed (and I think he's right, from the Russian perspective he's become too powerful a symbol to be left alive.)  That's why he didn't even consider negotiation and has refused to flee (as Poutine's assassins would find him wherever he went.)

By the same token I think Poutine realizes that a protracted war will cause him to fall from power and if that were to happen he won't be sent off to a Khrushchev style retirement.  For this reason I expect Poutine will wage an increasingly brutal war and will soon come down much harder on dissent in Russia.

So the world has become too small for both Poutine and Zelinsky to inhabit.

Edit: Cropped for Yi
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DGuller

Watching the few videos there are from combat action, it's striking how pretty much all the Ukrainians are speaking Russian in them.  That kind of plays into the Russian stereotype that when the shit hits the fan, Ukrainians stop trying to speak Ukrainian and fall back to their native language.  However, it definitely doesn't speak to Russian propaganda that Russian speakers in Ukraine are oppressed, or that Russian speakers would welcome the Russians.  They don't seem to be too welcoming in the videos I watched.

Admiral Yi

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2022, 05:58:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaGr8ECWllE

"A certain number of Russian banks" will be removed from SWIFT.

The ones already on the sanctions list.

EDIT: now they're saying the list is "being finalized"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Monocropping is where you remove all instances of Chinese malfeasance, right?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Finish reporter reports seeing a T-14 heading for Kharkiv. Russia is going to feel those losses if any get wrecked.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.