Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on March 15, 2024, 03:38:11 PMAmericans knowing more than 1 language challenge: impossible.

Someone's been triggered!   :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on March 16, 2024, 04:47:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2024, 04:58:30 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 15, 2024, 03:13:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2024, 02:08:23 PMYou also don't have to participate in all conversations.
I reckon that, if it was a conversation they wanted me in on, they'd ensure that it was in a language in which I could effectively communicate.  I don't mind being left out if that's what they want.

I've always been of two minds when dealing with someone who is bilingual, while I am unilingual.

I've been there when I enter a group of people all speaking a second language (in this case French) who now all feel obligated to switch to English to talk to each other - even though their first language is all French.  And I feel bad that just one anglo has to affect a whole bunch of people.

But there's also the exchange above - I'm not going to complain that you're talking in French, but you're also clearly not trying to communicate with me so I just ignore it.

Jesus Christ guys. Duque was just asking me which link for the documentary Jacob posted worked. We weren't having some secret anti-rosbif convention.

You all get so triggered...

You are quoting the most un-triggered exchange possible, so I think we know who is triggered.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

Tamas

Josquius

If I were a head of state, I'd have congratulated Putin on his election victory with 107% of the vote sometime yesterday.

One of many reasons I cant be a head of state I suppose.
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

Quote from: Josquius on March 17, 2024, 05:07:18 PMIf I were a head of state, I'd have congratulated Putin on his election victory with 107% of the vote sometime yesterday.

One of many reasons I cant be a head of state I suppose.

EU President Charles Michel did it on Friday. https://www.politico.eu/article/charles-michel-congratulate-vladimir-putin-landslide-win-voting-russia-election/

Caliga

I wonder why Putin bothers with the elections.  There can't be one person who seriously believes Russians had a choice here?  What's the point?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2024, 08:40:01 AMI wonder why Putin bothers with the elections.  There can't be one person who seriously believes Russians had a choice here?  What's the point?

It is a legitimizing ritual.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Yeah, dictatorships nearly always maintain some fig leaf of democratic legitimacy. Even Franco held elections.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on March 18, 2024, 09:11:38 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2024, 08:40:01 AMI wonder why Putin bothers with the elections.  There can't be one person who seriously believes Russians had a choice here?  What's the point?

I understand that, I just don't see what the point is.  Just so if someone dares question his legitimacy, he can say 'Oh but we have elections, comrade!"
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2024, 09:47:14 AM

I understand that, I just don't see what the point is.  Just so if someone dares question his legitimacy, he can say 'Oh but we have elections, comrade!"

We could also ask why medieval kings bothered with coronation ceremonies. (we could also ask why in 2023 there are coronation ceremonies but let's not go there)

crazy canuck

That is the whole point of a legitimizing ritual.

edit:  Tamas said it better.

Barrister

Exactly!  You westerners are in no position to complain about us - we both are elected governments.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

The same point having a coronation serves a Monarchy. It gives everybody a chance to show up and kiss the ring and demonstrate how much the people love Putin. All Russians, REAL Russians, support Putin. It also helps to convince his opponents that they are unpopular and alone.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."