Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2023, 11:14:33 AMEdit:

The counter argument though is that at this point what would be the effect of claiming a false flag attack?  If true, Russia used the apartment bombing as justification for the second Chechen War.  But Russia's already at war with Ukraine..  Short of sing nukes (which seems highly unlikely) there's almost nothing Putin can do to further escalate that war.
Yeah I can't think of an argument for a false flag.

And I think about two weeks ago the Ukrainian Defence Twitter account posted a video of drone footage of the Kremlin with an eyes emoji (war in the 21st century :hmm:), so I'd be more inclined to think it's Ukraine.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2023, 11:12:14 AMYeah that's the thing about Putin's Russia.  Normally I completely dismiss allegations of false flag attacks... but PUtins' Russia is perhaps the one country where I shouldn't.

If the vatniks cancel the May 9th Red Square parade because of security concerns then I'll be inclined to think this is a false flag.

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 03, 2023, 11:13:50 AMThere have always been rumours about those apartment bombings in Moscow, haven't there?

My understanding is that it's fairly well established that it was a Russian state security action.

Barrister

Zelensky gives a statement saying Kremlin attack wasn't Ukraine - they don't have enough weapons to begin with, so they only save them for use in Ukraine.

Which I mean is somewhat disingenuous - there have been attacks on targets within Russia itself.  But in those cases the Ukrainians just avoid commenting on, neither confirming nor denying involvement.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

I have to say I do find it weird that Russia hasn't destroyed the Ukrainian parliament and related buildings yet.
Wonder why they feel they need the excuse.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2023, 11:14:33 AMThe counter argument though is that at this point what would be the effect of claiming a false flag attack?  If true, Russia used the apartment bombing as justification for the second Chechen War.  But Russia's already at war with Ukraine..  Short of sing nukes (which seems highly unlikely) there's almost nothing Putin can do to further escalate that war.

Based on some things seen on Twitter - the one thing Moscow hasn't done is go after government/administrative buildings in Kiyev.  Perhaps they use this as justification to bomb the Presidential Palace or Ukraine's Verkohvnoa Rada.

It would be incredibly petty and without military value, but, you know, they're orcs...

Hamilcar

Faking an attack on Putin and the Kremlin just looks weak and desperate.

Barrister

Quote from: Hamilcar on May 03, 2023, 03:39:03 PMFaking an attack on Putin and the Kremlin just looks weak and desperate.

...which are both words I'd use to describe Putin.

mongers

Not a perfect analogy, but certainly not fully in Martinus territory:

What if the North Vietnamese had launched a suicide squad attack on the US Capitol sometime before the Tet offensive, what would the US have done in retaliation?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on May 03, 2023, 02:39:17 PMI have to say I do find it weird that Russia hasn't destroyed the Ukrainian parliament and related buildings yet.
Wonder why they feel they need the excuse.

In the last wave of missile attacks on cities, the Ukrainians shout down 12 of the 12 cruise missiles that targeted Kiev.  Taking out the Ukrainian parliament building may not be an easy do.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

FWIW RT has promulgated the claim the Kremlin drone attack was an assassination attempt on Putin. This seems even more far-fetched than the idea it was some sort of symbolic Ukrainian attack on the Kremlin. Putin is well known to not live in the Kremlin--the State built a private estate for him in Moscow in 2000 (following a precedent sent by Yeltsin, this was basically intended as a "gift" of an estate to Putin personally, intended to be where he lived when he left office--of course in c. 2000 they may not have expected he would still be President in 2023); and that estate is where he often meets foreign leaders for more "substantive" talks (the Great Palace in the Kremlin tends to be used for ceremony only) and also is where he bunkered up during his years of extreme covid separation / paranoia.

If you're looking to kill Vlad late at night you aren't going at the Kremlin, you're going at that estate (which I am sure is even more protected by active Russian security personnel / technology.)

Maladict

Zelensky is in The Hague today, in his speech alluding to a Nuremberg style trial to be set up there.

Meanwhile Russian media are calling for Zelensky to be assassinated while abroad, even if in a Nato country.