News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What is the Greatest State / Worst State

Started by alfred russel, August 01, 2014, 12:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

My point of view:

Greatest State: California (taxes, cost of living, etc. may suck, but the place is gorgeous with great weather and great cities)

Worst State: Texas (oppressive in summers, society structured around indoor airconditioned spaces)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

In my experience:

Greatest State:  New Jersey
Worst State:  New York

Razgovory

Best state: Missouri, I live there!

Worst state:Missouri, Raz lives there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

Best State: Catalonia; you got the work opportunities associated with Spain's second largest city and economic area coupled with great Mediterranean beaches, night life, and weather; best of both worlds.

Worst State: Extremadura; like Andalucía (hot, poor and dry) but without the good things of Andalucía (culture, night life and wine).

Iormlund

Valmy

Best State: Um....hmmmm....I always liked Virginia I guess.  It is for lovers.  Louisiana has the best food.

Worst State: Oklahoma.  Horribly hot like Texas during the summer, brutally freezing cold during the winter.  Also: filled with land thieving Okies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Best State (not including Michigan or Florida):  Washington (Mountains, Pacific rain forests, wine, Seattle, coffee)
Worst State:  Ohio
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on August 01, 2014, 12:49:59 PM
Catalonia is full of Catalans though.

The only other "lots-of-industry-but-with-great-food-and-beaches" place in Spain is the Basque Country, though.

Iormlund

Yeah. It's hard to find out a place in Spain that has good standards of living without annoying locals.  :P

Liep

The only country I remember visiting that has distinctive states is Australia, but all four states I visited were pretty goddamn fantastic so can't choose.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Best state in the union is quite clearly Alaska.   :cool:

The worst?  I'm trying to limit it to states I've been to, rather than rely on just reputation.  Honestly, even though I'm rather fond of the place for some rather nostalgic reasons, I'd probably have to say North Dakota.  Can't think of a state I'd be less likely to visit again.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Best state: anywhere other than where I am
Worst state: unemployment

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on August 01, 2014, 12:48:27 PMWorst State: Extremadura; like Andalucía (hot, poor and dry) but without the good things of Andalucía (culture, night life and wine).

They do wonders with pork there, though.

Ideologue

My idea of Washington, my experience of South Carolina.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on August 01, 2014, 01:07:26 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 01, 2014, 12:48:27 PMWorst State: Extremadura; like Andalucía (hot, poor and dry) but without the good things of Andalucía (culture, night life and wine).

They do wonders with pork there, though.

I think that's a common trait of Iberian peoples though, nobody beats us at making all sorts of delicious stuff out of pork.