News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Something that is bothering me.

Started by Razgovory, July 30, 2014, 08:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Okay, this one is serious.  I've talked about my brother here before, and most of you know I have a fairly negative opinion of him.  He screams and shrieks at my mom, drinks like a fish, and is habitually dishonest.  I'm not allowed to intervene when he fights with my mom, but she's near her wits end with him.  He yells fairly nasty insults at her, (like whore or that she's retarded), and then laughs when she cries.  Unfortunately he recently quit his job and moved back in so the screaming and abuse happens every night.  My mom was downstairs  for a while talking to me (my brother is wise enough not come down into the basement), and she told me something that really disturbed me.  She told me that he had said that I sexually abused him when we were kids.  Naturally this is not true, still I'm rather shaken by it.  Note that he's not made the accusation at me, it was just one of the many things he said to my mom to tell her how everything in his life is bad and it's someone else's fault.  Father uncaring, mother abusive, grandmother hated him etc.  As far as I know, none of that's true.  Still the accusation (even not directly made), bothers me a great deal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Raz some if not many people intentionally try and fuck around inside other peoples minds, it's one of the best forms of control. Usually it's in small trivial ways, rarely it's real nasty as you described.

See it for what it is and don't let it get to you. It highlights their emptiness. Pity him, that's enough.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

LaCroix

Quote from: mongers on July 30, 2014, 09:44:11 PM
Raz some if not many people intentionally try and fuck around inside other peoples minds, it's one of the best forms of control. Usually it's in small trivial ways, rarely it's real nasty as you described.

See it for what it is and don't let it get to you. It highlights their emptiness. Pity him, that's enough.

pretty much this. assuming he was drunk, he said it because he knew it would affect her greatly, not as an attack against you personally. he would have said anyone's name, but yours was the first that popped into his head. consider it another fight between your mother and brother and nothing more.

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on July 30, 2014, 09:44:11 PM

This.
Desperate people can get like that, it can be heart breaking and really disturbing at the same time. But it's not really aimed at you.
Just make sure you don't put yourself in a vulnerable position, if possible.

Ideologue

Slander can be a criminal.offense.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

No wonder Ide refused to take the Bar exam.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on July 31, 2014, 02:42:01 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 31, 2014, 02:38:41 PM

It can?  Where?

And out of fairness to Ideologue, it turns out that one of the places where it is a criminal offence is Canada.   :sleep:

s. 300 - every one who publishes a defamatory libel that he knows is false is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years.

SCC even upheld it's constitutionality (but not the section that left of the  words "that he knows is false").

Mind you in 14 years I've never, ever seen it charged.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

It can?  Where?

Poland.

I think Mongers is right, he was just trying to hurt my mom.  He might even have convinced himself it's true, people who lie about stuff often enough sometimes believe their own bullshit. Still, it's not an allegation to throw around lightly.  I don't get along well with my brother, never have.  I've made an effort to be polite and try to understand his problems in recent years.  He makes that very hard to do.  This doesn't help that.  It really hurt me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grinning_Colossus

It can?  Where?

17 states

Quote from: OSCEThere are no federal criminal defamation or insult laws of any kind. On the state level, 17 states and two
territories continue to have criminal defamation laws "on the books".
The following U.S. States and territories have criminal libel statutes:
1. Colorado (Colo. Rev. Stat. § 18-13-105)
2. Florida (Fla. Stat. § 836.01-836.11)
3. Idaho (Idaho Code § 18-4801-18-4809) *
4. Kansas (Kan. Stat. Ann. §21-4004)
5. Louisiana (La. R.S. 14:47)
6. Michigan (Mich. Comp. Laws § 750.370)
7. Minnesota (Miss. Stat. § 609.765)
8. Montana (Mont. Code Ann. § 13-35-234) *
9. New Hampshire (N.H. Rev. Stat Ann. § 644:11)
10. New Mexico (N.M. Stat. Ann. §30-11-1)
11. North Carolina (N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-47)
12. North Dakota (N.D. Cent. Code § 12.1-15-01) *
13. Oklahoma (Okla. Stat. tit. 21 §§ 771-781)
14. Utah (Utah Code Ann. § 76-9-404)
15. Virginia (Va. Code Ann. § 18.2-417)
16. Washington (Wash. Rev. Code 9.58.010) *
17. Wisconsin (Wis. Stats. § 942.01)
18. Puerto Rico (P.R. Laws, tit. 33, §§ 4101-4104)
19. Virgin Islands (Virgin Islands 14 V.I. Code § 1172)

http://www.osce.org/fom/41958
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Barrister on July 31, 2014, 03:05:48 PM
Mind you in 14 years I've never, ever seen it charged.

I imagine it is an extremely difficult charge to stick per criminal standards.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on July 31, 2014, 03:07:01 PM

It can?  Where?

Poland.

I think Mongers is right, he was just trying to hurt my mom.  He might even have convinced himself it's true, people who lie about stuff often enough sometimes believe their own bullshit. Still, it's not an allegation to throw around lightly.  I don't get along well with my brother, never have.  I've made an effort to be polite and try to understand his problems in recent years.  He makes that very hard to do.  This doesn't help that.  It really hurt me.

:(

I sympathize and in part can imagine what it must feel like, but I'd try and not take it to heart.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"