Russia Violates Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces Treaty

Started by jimmy olsen, July 28, 2014, 08:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 29, 2014, 12:33:42 PM
Actually I don't know what you were talking about in particular.

:D  Btw I bottled my Razgovory Wheat Beer last weekend.  Should be ready to test on Friday.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on July 29, 2014, 12:11:37 PM
Wait, we are comparing intro Obama to intro Bush and discussing Putin, and we aren't talking about Bush looking into Putin's soul and seeing goodness?

Maybe Putin was borrowing one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Gerhard Schröder said when he was chancellor that Putin was a "flawless democrat," and why would he lie?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2014, 12:56:36 PM
Gerhard Schröder said when he was chancellor that Putin was a "flawless democrat," and why would he lie?

:yes: Obama wants to create the USSA.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

QuoteThe Russian diplomat said it was very regretful the US foreign policy doctrine does not extend beyond the use of sanctions and quasi-sanctions in reply for all events that do not satisfy their current desires.

Damn people usually whine we bomb too much.  Now they whine we stop at sanctions.  There is just no satisfying people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on July 29, 2014, 04:51:35 AM
User comment:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/29/us-says-russia-breached-nuclear-treaty

QuoteWith each passing day, the fascist regime in Washington finds new ways to try and reignite the cold war. Its like a flashback to the scene in Doctor Strangelove, in which George C. Scott's character laments the (then) alliance between the US and Germany, wishing we could become enemies again so we could have a proper war. Only this time the comedy is much, much darker.

I wonder why the Russians do not protest over the US contributions to the nuclear weapons programs of India and Israel, two of the nuclear powers that have not signed the Nonproliferation Treaty.

The Russians don't protest over Israel because the key contributor there was France, not the US.  They don't protest over India because it was the USSR that provided technical assistance to transform the civilian nuclear program in India into a viable weapons program, and the Russian regime is ill-placed to complain about past Soviet action.

There really needs to be an emergency medical outreach to Guardian readers to treat their allergy to facts.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2014, 12:35:52 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 29, 2014, 12:33:42 PM
Actually I don't know what you were talking about in particular.

:D  Btw I bottled my Razgovory Wheat Beer last weekend.  Should be ready to test on Friday.

Sweet!  Drink in good health!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on July 29, 2014, 09:10:49 AM
In public perception, the first one is way worse.  Second one doesn't get rehashed nearly as much.
It's not 2016 yet.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on July 29, 2014, 02:28:41 PM
In public perception, the first one is way worse.  Second one doesn't get rehashed nearly as much.
It's not 2016 yet.

The first one was related to deaths of thousands of Americans and God knows how many Iraqis.  The second one, not so much.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on July 29, 2014, 02:30:38 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 29, 2014, 02:28:41 PM
It's not 2016 yet.

The first one was related to deaths of thousands of Americans and God knows how many Iraqis.  The second one, not so much.
The enemies that you created are not as scary as the enemies that chose to become your enemy.  Misjudging the first type is not nearly as dangerous as misjudging the second type.

Razgovory

LaCroix

Quote from: Berkut on July 29, 2014, 09:17:15 AMThe second, in hindsight (and actually even at the time for many of us) was clearly just showing Russia how amateur the Obama Administration was...

this comment is loaded with hindsight, though. i don't think the obama administration has been perfect, but at that time it was a worthwhile attempt

CountDeMoney

Quote"A weapon capability that violates the I.N.F., that is introduced into the greater European land mass, is absolutely a tool that will have to be dealt with," he said in an interview in April. "It can't go unanswered." Mr. Obama has determined that the United States will not retaliate against the Russians by violating the treaty and deploying its own prohibited medium-range system, officials said. So the responses might include deploying sea- and air-launched cruise missiles, which would be an allowable under the accord.

Considering Dubya withdrew from the ABM Treaty--notably the first time the US abrogated its responsibilities to the concept of arms control to work on the MDA Maginot Line, how's that for American exceptionalism in global leadership--I don't see how this is worse.

Berkut

Quote from: LaCroix on July 29, 2014, 08:43:27 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 29, 2014, 09:17:15 AMThe second, in hindsight (and actually even at the time for many of us) was clearly just showing Russia how amateur the Obama Administration was...

this comment is loaded with hindsight, though. i don't think the obama administration has been perfect, but at that time it was a worthwhile attempt

I can see why you would think that, but in fact I thought it was naive and amateurish even at the time.

Hindsight just proves that my fears were right.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 30, 2014, 12:08:20 AM
Quote"A weapon capability that violates the I.N.F., that is introduced into the greater European land mass, is absolutely a tool that will have to be dealt with," he said in an interview in April. "It can't go unanswered." Mr. Obama has determined that the United States will not retaliate against the Russians by violating the treaty and deploying its own prohibited medium-range system, officials said. So the responses might include deploying sea- and air-launched cruise missiles, which would be an allowable under the accord.

Considering Dubya withdrew from the ABM Treaty--notably the first time the US abrogated its responsibilities to the concept of arms control to work on the MDA Maginot Line, how's that for American exceptionalism in global leadership--I don't see how this is worse.

Not even remotely the same.

Bush withdrew from the treaty - a treaty is not a "till death do us part" pact. The US notified Russia that it had decided that their interests were no longer served by the treaty, and they would be ending it.

That is not the same at all as violating a treaty that you've agreed to.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned