News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New York City is America's unhappiest town

Started by garbon, July 25, 2014, 04:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 28, 2014, 04:19:33 PM
Everything's in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Does that mean the other boroughs are reasonably priced, or just that the people there don't have internet?  :hmm:

Most prices are lower as you move further from Manhattan.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on July 28, 2014, 04:41:21 PM
I guess you get used to it.  The few times I did that (stayed at a hotel on "The Island" and went to the Big East Tourney in Madison Square Garden) seemed like an ordeal, though.

So is staring at the back of someone's head on a commuter train.

alfred russel

There is also the pay differential...When I graduated from accounting school in the midwest, our career services office gave us the starting salaries that were being offered by the big firms. They were:

NYC: $70s
Chicago: mid $50s
Atlanta: $46

That is just one job, at one point in time, but it at least compares people that all have the same educational experience, doing the same work, for the same people.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

I'm surprised Chicago was that close to Atlanta.

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on July 28, 2014, 11:19:46 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 28, 2014, 10:36:19 AM
The Pilgrims didn't pay 2000$/month for a cockroach infested basement in Brooklyn, I'm sure.

True, but I've picked up a vibe from CdM and Ide that indicates they may not be willing to make a dangerous multi month journey on a rickety rat infested boat in order to become farmers in a land where they will have to build their own houses and the natives sometimes try to kill them.

Look, if I could go to New York and take any piece of land I saw because the original inhabitants were dying in droves due to a combination of my superior firepower and resistance to my own smallpox, sure, I might consider it; likewise if I could move to Asia, obey only the laws I felt applied to me and trade opium for silver and blowjobs, I would be mightily tempted.  But the times change, buster.  There is no center and no frontier.  The whole Earth is owned by someone else already.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

LaCroix

must be the noise. outside noise should never filter into the bedroom. :)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

LaCroix

Ideologue

I taste purple.  The slendermen are coming.  It never rains on my plains in Spain.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Is LaCroix back on the opening thread topic?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on July 28, 2014, 05:55:01 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on July 28, 2014, 05:49:49 PM
must be the noise. outside noise should never filter into the bedroom. :)

:unsure:

I believe he's responding to the OP. However, garbon assures us that his apartment is quiet as a library.

Also, a couple weeks ago I had bugs chirping very loudly outside my window all night. It was maddening.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on July 28, 2014, 06:07:08 PM
Is LaCroix back on the opening thread topic?

yup. didn't know that was the source of confusion

Quote from: Peter WigginAlso, a couple weeks ago I had bugs chirping very loudly outside my window all night. It was maddening.

my apartment neighbor has a wind chime. it's awful and so utterly pointless. the most annoying noise for no reason at all

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 28, 2014, 05:00:12 PM
I'm surprised Chicago was that close to Atlanta.

Atlanta is kind of underrated imo has been booming the last 20 years. Lots of businesses have moved here and there are a lot of jobs for someone wanting to be in accounting for bigger businesses. Compared to Miami, I think the Atlanta salaries were actually higher even though Miami has a higher cost of living. The positions in Miami were probably more competitive too.

I sort of feel like the best days of Chicago may be behind it. It feels like it is slumping a bit.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Chicago is at heart an industrial town. It's done well not to go the way of Detroit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 28, 2014, 06:07:52 PM
I believe he's responding to the OP. However, garbon assures us that his apartment is quiet as a library.

Mine is surprisingly pretty quiet. While I live on a party street in NYUland, I face a quiet courtyard. Only here a bunch of noise if people are chatting in the hallway and/or having a roof party on a nearby building.

Oh and sometimes some doves coo on my fire escape.