The 2nd Last Time Something Good Came Out of Baltimore ?

Started by mongers, July 25, 2014, 07:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

QuoteThe ship that totally failed to change the world
By Tammy Thueringer & Justin Parkinson

Fifty years ago the world's first nuclear-powered cargo-passenger ship sailed from the US to Europe on a publicity tour to persuade the world to embrace the atomic age. It didn't quite work out like that.

Sleek in shape, painted red and white, its interior decorated in what was then ultra-modern chrome, the NS Savannah wasn't quite like any other cargo ship.

It had facilities for passengers. The 600ft, 12,000-ton ship boasted a cinema, veranda bar and swimming pool. The cabins had no curtains. Instead, "polarised" windows, designed to cut glare, lined the sides of staterooms.

The ship was one of the few to spring directly from the imagination of a US president. In 1953, Dwight Eisenhower had made his famous Atoms for Peace speech, attempting to balance the growing fear of nuclear apocalypse with optimism about the possibility of civilian use of atomic energy.

And he wanted an atomic ship. A civilian one.

Rest of item here, with some nice pictures:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28439159
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Yeah, it's a gorgeous ship, and the Association does a good job with its upkeep.  One of the few touristy attractions I've given money.

Way before its time.

alfred russel

Was the last time something good came out of baltimore when the colts left?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Art Schlichter's bookie.
There's a hard working man.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on July 25, 2014, 08:10:29 AM
Was the last time something good came out of baltimore when the colts left?

Doubtful.  Mark Herrmann was on that team.

celedhring

The Wire, Anna Faris and Frank Zappa (his debut album at least) all came after that ship, so it's hardly the second last.

The Baltimore inner harbor is a really cool place to visit, btw, loved visiting all those historic ships when I was there.

derspiess

Quote from: celedhring on July 25, 2014, 11:19:22 AM
The Wire, Anna Faris and Frank Zappa (his debut album at least) all came after that ship, so it's hardly the second last.

The Baltimore inner harbor is a really cool place to visit, btw, loved visiting all those historic ships when I was there.

Yep.  Plus some of the finest homeless dudes in America roam through there.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

I'll assume you got the title as being a compliment to CdM.  <_<

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 25, 2014, 07:53:55 AM
Yeah, it's a gorgeous ship, and the Association does a good job with its upkeep.  One of the few touristy attractions I've given money.

Way before its time.

Yeah I like futuristic things from a time when more people thought realistically about, well, The Future.   :)

Also probably have a soft spot for the ship as it probably appeared in ones childhood books or indeed a couple of school textbooks.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on July 25, 2014, 02:50:27 PM

Yes, however uncharacteristic it was.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: mongers on July 25, 2014, 02:50:27 PM

Title?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DontSayBanana

Quote from: 11B4V on July 25, 2014, 10:30:03 PM
Baltimre smells of fish.

So does just about any coastal town/city where you're close enough to the water.  In my town, when the tide comes in, the whole town gets washed with that fishy smell.  Yet another reason I pretty much hibernate in my room here.
Experience bij!

The Larch