News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New Yorker Article on D&D

Started by Jacob, July 22, 2014, 02:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote(Make all the jokes you want, but some of my fellow-players were jocks who had girlfriends...

Woot, my subculture within the subculture finally gets some recognition!

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 22, 2014, 03:15:51 PM
Quote(Make all the jokes you want, but some of my fellow-players were jocks who had girlfriends...

Woot, my subculture within the subculture finally gets some recognition!

I gamed with a few guys like that :)

CountDeMoney

The revisionist popularity is only because so many of the Gen Xers that played D&D back then are so prevalent in modern media now;  it's taken a generation to undo all the damage Tom Hanks did to the hobby in after-school special, panicking the fuck out of Reaganaut-era mothers.  NEVER FORGET

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 22, 2014, 05:03:44 PM
it's taken a generation to undo all the damage Tom Hanks did to the hobby in after-school special, panicking the fuck out of Reaganaut-era mothers.  NEVER FORGET

I remember that one.  :D

Tamas

All this D&D talk in online press has made me all nostalgic.

Pedrito

Quote from: Tamas on July 23, 2014, 03:49:56 AM
All this D&D talk in online press has made me all nostalgic.
:yes:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

crazy canuck

I look forward to the day I can play it again.  :)

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 23, 2014, 01:08:19 PM
I look forward to the day I can play it again.  :)

:cool:

Damn, that's why I should have had children, I knew there was something.  :D

edit:
The guy's right about Deities and Demigods; I'm regretting selling my stuff years ago.   :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

A very good article

I wonder how many Languisher's have played this with any regularity in their lifetime. Be interesting to see by age group too. I bet upwards to 80%.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on July 23, 2014, 01:38:16 PM
A very good article

I wonder how many Languisher's have played this with any regularity in their lifetime. Be interesting to see by age group too. I bet upwards to 80%.

I think my friends and I played from around 78 to 81, before other stuff occurred; maybe 14-17 years old.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Not me. I grew up in a town devoid of roleplayers, so I had to make do with choose your own adventure books (Lone Wolf and SteveJackson/Ian Livingstone stuff). :Embarrass:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on July 23, 2014, 01:54:53 PM
Not me. I grew up in a town devoid of roleplayers, so I had to make do with choose your own adventure books (Lone Wolf and SteveJackson/Ian Livingstone stuff). :Embarrass:
:wub:

You know you can get those on smartphones now, right?  I have House of Hell on my Samsung.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Not me. I never understood the attraction.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Delirium

I played not so much D&D as such but equivalents in Swedish religiously from 6th grade upwards, around 1984 it was. Some games in English we turned to were Gammaworld, Traveller and something with Frontier in it that I forget right now. The 80's were a lot of fun that way, but then I turned into a jock and then a drunk.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan