9 Regional Slang Words We Should All Start Using

Started by garbon, July 21, 2014, 02:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I don't think garburator
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 21, 2014, 03:37:11 PMIt's lazy and it's ignorant.  You know better than that.

Surely you mean "lazy and ign'ant."

Caliga

"bufflehead" - I wonder where in Pennsylvania this is used.  I grew up there and don't recall ever hearing that before.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Jacob

Bufflehead sounds funny and kind of cutesy.

What y'all need to do is start calling people goofs more. That'll get some fireworks going in the right places in Canada at least.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on July 21, 2014, 04:18:05 PM
What y'all need to do is start calling people goofs more. That'll get some fireworks going in the right places in Canada at least.

Please elaborate.

I prefer doofus and goofus to goof.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2014, 04:21:59 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 21, 2014, 04:18:05 PM

Please elaborate.

I prefer doofus and goofus to goof.

Goof is regional prison slang for child molester, and more generally means the lowest of the low. Calling someone a goof is grade A "fighting words" that require an immediate reaction in a number of local milieu, as I've witnessed on a few occasions.

So yeah, if you're crawling dive bars in Vancouver, don't call random dudes a "goof".

grumbler

The article has it wrong.  "Y'all" is singular.  "All y'all" is the plural form.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

I didn't know hella was regional, I hear it all the time from RL Americans. Give me über anyday.

And for plural you , youse works perfectly fine without racist police chief
connotations.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

It's interesting that, in Britain, "y'all" has a racist connotation.  In the American South, everybody speaks Suthrun, except the Yankees and the Asians.  The accent has no racial affiliations at all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on July 21, 2014, 06:34:11 PM
I didn't know hella was regional, I hear it all the time from RL Americans.

It spread out of the West Coast around the turn of the century.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I didn't know hella was regional, I hear it all the time from RL Americans. Give me über anyday.

connotations.

'Youse' should be a jailable offense.  Uneducated types use it in Southwest Ohio and it just sounds horrible.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on July 21, 2014, 03:27:18 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 21, 2014, 03:22:54 PM
"Hella" is still too popular.  People Assfuck Millennial Aspies who use it need throat cancer.

<_<

He's Old.  Give him his dignity.

I do not use "y'all."  Evidently I sound enough like a rube to you bigoted cocksuckers anyway.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Quote from: derspiess on July 21, 2014, 07:46:32 PM

connotations.

'Youse' should be a jailable offense.  Uneducated types use it in Southwest Ohio and it just sounds horrible.

Pretty standard part of northern british.
██████
██████
██████

Viking

I use wicked, loo, y'all and the double up all y'all. Especially when drunk.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Gups

Quote from: grumbler on July 21, 2014, 06:50:45 PM
It's interesting that, in Britain, "y'all" has a racist connotation.  In the American South, everybody speaks Suthrun, except the Yankees and the Asians.  The accent has no racial affiliations at all.

Outside of Tyr, "y'all" has no racist connotations for Brits at all. Anyone who has ever watched a film set on the south, or listened to hip hop or heard an interview with a black person from the south knows that it's a non-racial part of the dialect. Outside of the south it seems to be used more by black people than white (going by music, TV etc)