And we're back!

Main Menu

Austrian hotel has world's best wine list

Started by Syt, July 19, 2014, 09:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 22, 2014, 12:50:45 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2014, 11:40:24 PM
I would do the same thing I do with any wine list: color, region, then price.

So, a wine list is like a brothel?

:lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

"I'll have the blonde Czech, '95."
"An excellent choice, sir."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on July 22, 2014, 10:05:47 AM
One thing I don't understand.  Why look for the most impressive wine selection at a restaurant?  If you want the longest wine list on earth, shouldn't you be checking out the wine supermarkets?  :unsure:

Supermarkets are all about turnover. They're not going to keep a bottle of wine in stock for 20 years so they can make an extra hundred bucks off it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Supermarkets in the North East are a very poor place to buy wine. If they have any, it is very hella* cheap/gross.

*I see you, Seedy. :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

One thing I don't understand.  Why look for the most impressive wine selection at a restaurant?  If you want the longest wine list on earth, shouldn't you be checking out the wine supermarkets?  :unsure:

Because going to a restaurant with a fine wine list is the only way to get fine wines which have been cellared properly unless you are have the resources to buy the wine and cellar it yourself or you can acquire it from someone other than a restaurant who has done it for you.  That later option is really only available if you travel to a vintner who keeps a portion of their in inventory cellared (rare but you can find them normally at the price of an expensive trip) or you have chosen your friends wisely.

Generally if you want a fine wine, going to a restaurant (absent a generous friend with a well stocked cellar) is the least expensive option.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 22, 2014, 02:21:23 PM
Supermarkets in the North East are a very poor place to buy wine. If they have any, it is very hella* cheap/gross.

Hella good boxxa wine.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 22, 2014, 02:40:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 22, 2014, 02:21:23 PM

Hella good boxxa wine.

That was so tragic when I was in the UK and one of the British students took us for a meal at his house. His mother cooked a lovely roast but accompanied it with some local Franzia equivalent. :(

Also, my closest supermarket, no box wine. Just some ultra-gross bottle wine. In a weak moment I bought a bottle once.  :Embarrass:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 22, 2014, 02:30:18 PM

Because going to a restaurant with a fine wine list is the only way to get fine wines which have been cellared properly unless you are have the resources to buy the wine and cellar it yourself or you can acquire it from someone other than a restaurant who has done it for you.  That later option is really only available if you travel to a vintner who keeps a portion of their in inventory cellared (rare but you can find them normally at the price of an expensive trip) or you have chosen your friends wisely.

Generally if you want a fine wine, going to a restaurant (absent a generous friend with a well stocked cellar) is the least expensive option.

If you want a vision of the upper middle-class, imagine Crazy Canuck badgering acquaintances for the booze they keep in their basement, he hopes forever.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Larch

Quote from: Gups on July 21, 2014, 11:31:01 AMGruner is very "in" over here right now, along with Jura & Galician whites.

Galician? Damn, I could have made a killing in my trip by bringing a few bottles along...

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 22, 2014, 03:42:05 PM

If you want a vision of the upper middle-class, imagine Crazy Canuck badgering acquaintances for the booze they keep in their basement, he hopes forever.

See, this attitude is why you can't be upper middle class - you don't "badger" your acquaintences for their booze, you just subtley challenge them to display their superior taste.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on July 22, 2014, 04:01:50 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 22, 2014, 03:42:05 PM

See, this attitude is why you can't be upper middle class - you don't "badger" your acquaintences for their booze, you just subtley challenge them to display their superior taste.  :D

Well, that and he thinks a basement is the same as a wine cellar.

Monoriu

My wife has booked 5-6 michelin-starred restaurants in Bavaria and Alsace in September.  Surprisingly there are more such restaurants in Germany than France.  I think we'll once again get the funny reactions from the waiters when we ask for tap water  :D

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 22, 2014, 11:12:55 AM
"I'll have the blonde Czech, '95."
"An excellent choice, sir."

Then they make you wear a rubber tube over your tongue, and you wonder what the point of the whole thing is.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Norgy

Quote from: Monoriu on July 22, 2014, 07:34:41 PM
My wife has booked 5-6 michelin-starred restaurants in Bavaria and Alsace in September.  Surprisingly there are more such restaurants in Germany than France.  I think we'll once again get the funny reactions from the waiters when we ask for tap water  :D

Trust me, the reaction when you go to McDonalds' later to actually fill up after eating calf of hare in clover and a single mussel dipped in the groin sweat of town simpleton, braised in wine will be worth those 600 Euros.

Monoriu

Quote from: Norgy on July 22, 2014, 08:14:50 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 22, 2014, 07:34:41 PM

Trust me, the reaction when you go to McDonalds' later to actually fill up after eating calf of hare in clover and a single mussel dipped in the groin sweat of town simpleton, braised in wine will be worth those 600 Euros.

The vast majority of the michelin restaurants that we tried in France tend to serve portions that are on the high side.  Our real problem when we went to France 2 years ago was that there was absolutely no stomach space for anything we saw on the road.  If we had lunch in such a restaurant, a salad for dinner would be enough.  I know what you are talking about though, as many French restaurants in Hong Kong do serve portions that are unreasonably small, and their excuse is that "French cuisine is like that".  That lie is for people who have never actually been to France.  The same applies to Japan.  Most of the michelin restaurants there serve large portions. 

The price varies from place to place, but there is no way a single meal will cost E$600 if we don't order drinks.  E$100-200 for two is more typical.  Of course, if you plan on getting wine, the sky is the limit.