News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Austrian hotel has world's best wine list

Started by Syt, July 19, 2014, 09:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Btw, it's Grüner Veltliner. Grün, or "gruner" being the color. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

I want to know what planning staffer in the 15th USAAF during the war managed to miss targeting that hotel and all its wine bullshit we have to listen to now.

The Minsky Moment

No one made you clink the link.
I'm sure if you asked nicely they could dig up some Bushmills for you.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Gups

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 21, 2014, 11:46:59 AM
No one made you clink the link.
I'm sure if you asked nicely they could dig up some Bushmills for you.

That's protestant whisky.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 21, 2014, 11:39:35 AM
I want to know what planning staffer in the 15th USAAF during the war managed to miss targeting that hotel and all its wine bullshit we have to listen to now.

It was actually hit by bombs in WW2. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on July 21, 2014, 11:00:10 AM
Where are all the financial scolds who get on my back about buying blu-rays now?

You got a problem bub?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on July 21, 2014, 11:57:00 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 21, 2014, 11:39:35 AM

It was actually hit by bombs in WW2. :P

Obviously not enough to penetrate the wine douchebag bunker.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 21, 2014, 03:28:11 PM
Obviously not enough to penetrate the wine douchebag bunker.

As between that bunker and the one for the actual Austrians, the wine bunker was deemed higher priority to protect.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Monoriu

I think they need to do something about the formats of wine lists.  For someone who knows next to nothing about wine, I usually give up when I reach page 2.  The prices are too scary, the names mean nothing, the geographic regions also do zilch to me.  As a way to convince people to buy wine, it is totally user-unfriendly. 

First of all, we need executive summaries.  There is no way I am going to read every line in a 10-page drink list.  2 pages of your best stuff please.  Or at least have something like a table of contents or index.  The current format is like a website without a search button.  They don't give people 30-page food menus, then why give people 30-page drink lists?  The best solution I have seen is that some restaurants add a page in front of the food menu on the recommended drinks. 

Next, we need information.  Say, Osso Bucco.  I know what Osso Bucco is, but a lot of people don't.  You don't just write Osso Bucco and the price in the food menu, right?  There is usually a line below the name giving a general idea on what it is, and the major ingredients.  The same should be done for drink lists.  There needs to be some explanation on the general properties of a drink.  They've figured out how to do food menus right, but somehow not for drinks. 

I know somebody will probably say "ask the waiter".  It works in theory, but imagine this - at 1:00pm in the central business district, where everybody is in a hurry to rush back to the office at 2:00pm, and 6 tables have raised their hands to place their orders at the same time, your expert waiters won't have time for them.  It is a warzone, and it needs to be treated as one. 

sbr

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: sbr on July 21, 2014, 09:39:06 PM
Why are you drinking wine at lunch?

I don't.  I don't even drink wine for dinner.  I just think the drink list format can be improved as a means to convince people to buy drinks.

Syt

Quote from: garbon on July 21, 2014, 09:39:35 PM

Why wouldn't one be? :huh:

I only have a half hour lunch break, which is usually not long enough to go to a restaurant. And they frown on drinking at the office (unless birthday celebration).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Monoriu on July 21, 2014, 09:40:52 PM

I don't.  I don't even drink wine for dinner.  I just think the drink list format can be improved as a means to convince people to buy drinks.

Well, in a place like this, unless you're  a wino wine connoisseur or Frasier/Niles Crane, most people will ask the sommelier for advice and recommendations.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

I would do the same thing I do with any wine list: color, region, then price.