News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Austrian hotel has world's best wine list

Started by Syt, July 19, 2014, 09:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on July 20, 2014, 01:53:52 AM

Of all people on here aren't you the one usually most willing to spend money on food? I recall some stories of very expensive meals.

You only remember half the story.  I love good food, but I can't really afford it.  To save money, I try to -

1. Restrict myself to lunches;
2. Buy set menus as far as possible;
3. Buy food only.  No drinks;
4. Take advantage of discount offers.  Credit cards offer them all the time;
5. Share food with the wife.  Say, we may order 1 set lunch plus one appetiser to share between us;
6. Save on tips.

So we usually order tap water, even if we have meals at 3-star michelin (3 is max) restaurants in Paris. 

And I don't really enjoy wine anyway.  I just don't like the taste.  If the meal comes with a glass of red wine anyway, I usually try to see if I can get them to switch to orange juice or coffee.

Ideologue

QuoteSave on tips.

I don't even want you to elaborate, because I tire of being mad at you.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Monoriu

Quote from: Ideologue on July 20, 2014, 03:14:05 AM
QuoteSave on tips.

:hug:

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on July 19, 2014, 09:17:30 AM
It appears to be out of my price range, but Minsky might be interested. :P

Have to see the food menu too, but I'd be tempted to pull the trigger on one of those Nikolaihof gruners, nothwithstanding the deep French bench, on the "when in Rome" theory of wine selection.
Austrian wine has done nicely since they dropped the antifreeze.  ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Where are all the financial scolds who get on my back about buying blu-rays now?
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on July 20, 2014, 03:14:05 AM
QuoteSave on tips.

No shit.  Nigga's not full until he wipes out a subspecies of African Rhino, but he'll shaft the waiter.

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 21, 2014, 10:17:57 AM

There was a lot of resistance when quality controls were increased after the scandal, but it's done wonders for the wines in the region.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on July 21, 2014, 11:00:10 AM
Where are all the financial scolds who get on my back about buying blu-rays now?

Are you thinking of paying those prices for wine or cake?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

We assume that Minsky has already paid his law degree.  :smarty:

Gups

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 21, 2014, 10:17:57 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 19, 2014, 09:17:30 AM
It appears to be out of my price range, but Minsky might be interested. :P

Have to see the food menu too, but I'd be tempted to pull the trigger on one of those Nikolaihof gruners, nothwithstanding the deep French bench, on the "when in Rome" theory of wine selection.

Gruner is very "in" over here right now, along with Jura & Galician whites. I personally think it's a bit over priced compared to other decent mid-price whites.

Most extensive wine list I ever saw was in a pizza place in a ski resort in Switzerland. They did nothing but basement level Italian - pizzas, spag bog etc but had an 120 page wine list with 20 or so vintages of all of the top bugundies, first growths etc

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on July 21, 2014, 11:30:22 AM
We assume that Minsky has already paid his law degree.  :smarty:

:) :yes: