Tesla's to unveil $35K Model in 2016; will go on sale in 2017

Started by jimmy olsen, July 16, 2014, 08:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Zanza on July 17, 2014, 01:55:59 AM
It will be interesting to see how Tesla develops. Recently their sales stagnated despite the extremely posivite PR they get. I am sure they'll be able to ramp up production, but it will be interesting to see if they can do so and stay profitable. Once they move from a niché brand to a mainstream brand, it will also be interesting to see how they square their direct sales model with repair/warranty work.

Isn't that due to production capacity more than a lack of demand though?
I understand you have to go on a waiting list to get a Tesla
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

They are building a huge facility where I live. Have been for a while now. I'm guessing that's part of their production ramp up strategy.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on April 23, 2015, 04:36:33 AM
That's part of their marketing strategy as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Quote from: Tyr on April 23, 2015, 04:36:33 AM
Quote from: Zanza on July 17, 2014, 01:55:59 AM
It will be interesting to see how Tesla develops. Recently their sales stagnated despite the extremely posivite PR they get. I am sure they'll be able to ramp up production, but it will be interesting to see if they can do so and stay profitable. Once they move from a niché brand to a mainstream brand, it will also be interesting to see how they square their direct sales model with repair/warranty work.

Isn't that due to production capacity more than a lack of demand though?
They've built the Tesla S for more than two years now. If they cannot ramp up production in that time to meet demand, they seem to have some kind of issue with their production process.
Their factory in California used to build much bigger number of ICE cars before, so that can't be the limitation.

EDIT: I find it more likely that demand isn't picking up the way they expected.

Josquius

ICE?
Internal combustion engine?
I've no idea what their factory is, its a re-purposed factory from someone else?

If they do have production troubles....I would say the sticking point is likely to be in rare earth sourcing.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

Quote from: Alcibiades on July 16, 2014, 09:08:48 PM
I test drove one a little over a week ago.  They were neat, but you're definitely paying for the electric part of the car with the high price tag, not the luxury portion.  Feel every bump, interior isn't greatly comfortable, has a plastic feel.

It was nice and all, but not for a $100k car......  Was pretty disappointed to be honest.   :unsure:

Thanks .
I'll take you review a zillion times over the environmental fanboys and the Crazy singularists that think an electric car can bring about paradise on Earth.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

MadBurgerMaker

The interior (well the drivers side dash/missing instrument cluster to be specific) on the new cheap ones is no bueno.  Hopefully it isn't finished yet and all that was was a mock up. 

celedhring

I got two friends that have already ordered one. To be frank, a mass produced electric car will be a good thing in order to streamline and drive down costs of the technology, and bring better cars in the future.

Zanza

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on April 02, 2016, 12:38:28 AM
The interior (well the drivers side dash/missing instrument cluster to be specific) on the new cheap ones is no bueno.  Hopefully it isn't finished yet and all that was was a mock up.
It's meant to be self-driving, so you don't need a traditional instrument cluster anymore. But even considering that, the interior looks rather bland. American cars often have a rather cheap feel to their interior and this might not be different.

I am also not really sold on having a single big touch screen in the middle of the car as the perfect user interface. As long as the driver still at least occasionally drives the car himself, he should have all relevant information in front of him, not having to take his eyes of the road and the hands of the steering wheel. I like those heads-up displays that Audi pioneered and that are available in other cars now as well.

Eddie Teach

I've always wondered if it's actually legal to have the car drive itself.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Zanza on April 02, 2016, 02:32:45 AM
It's meant to be self-driving, so you don't need a traditional instrument cluster anymore.

It isn't going to be able to self drive everywhere, or probably even most places just yet, so you're going to need to be able to see how fast you're going without looking down at where the radio controls traditionally are. 

E:  Speaking of which, I saw a thing on my news feed the other day about a....Volvo, I think it was.....self driving car not doing so well here in the US because of how shittily marked the roads were. 

celedhring

Yeah, it's strange that there isn't a dash behind the wheel like in the Model X.