And we're back!

Main Menu

Undershirts and fashion

Started by alfred russel, July 16, 2014, 08:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 16, 2014, 10:20:33 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 16, 2014, 10:13:09 PM
I often wear t-shirts under dress shirts though, largely because I don't want to sweat through a powder blue button-up when it's hot, and because I don't want to shiver when it's cold.

Also, you can rewear the same shirt without putting it through the wash.  :outback:

So undershirts are a good thing for poor people?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on July 16, 2014, 08:16:23 PM
The article states that an exposed undershirt when wearing a dress shirt is a fashion faux pas. I found this immediately concerning, because I dress like that a lot.

Jesus H. Titty Sprinkled Christ.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 16, 2014, 11:54:50 PM
The article states that an exposed undershirt when wearing a dress shirt is a fashion faux pas. I found this immediately concerning, because I dress like that a lot.

What some people worry about.  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on July 17, 2014, 12:01:24 AM

I don't know why that wouldn't be common knowledge.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

I wear A-Shirts.  Otherwise known as vests (UK?) or unfortunately wife-beaters.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 17, 2014, 12:30:29 AM

See, I don't get that.  Part of the purpose--at least for me-- of an undershirt is to help with containing perspiration, saving your dress shirt from an ugly death from armpit stains.  Wifebeaters defeat that concept.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2014, 12:34:06 AM

See, I don't get that.  Part of the purpose--at least for me-- of an undershirt is to help with containing perspiration, saving your dress shirt from an ugly death from armpit stains.  Wifebeaters defeat that concept.

Yeah, I don't know why, but they feel right.  Though my pops has said I "look like a Puerto Rican" when I wear them.  He wasn't really being negative with that, I should say.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on July 16, 2014, 10:44:51 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 16, 2014, 10:20:33 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 16, 2014, 10:13:09 PM
I often wear t-shirts under dress shirts though, largely because I don't want to sweat through a powder blue button-up when it's hot, and because I don't want to shiver when it's cold.

Also, you can rewear the same shirt without putting it through the wash.  :outback:

So undershirts are a good thing for poor people?

Fuck you.  Your job will be gone soon and you'll wish you had a t-shirt.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

I haven't worn an undershirt or vest or anything of he sort as a regular thing since I was a kid. Only ever somewhat do it, and usually with a second regular shirt rather than a special undershirt, on particular days when I'm working outside and it is cold.

QuoteI often wear t-shirts under dress shirts though, largely because I don't want to sweat through a powder blue button-up when it's hot, and because I don't want to shiver when it's cold.

Don't you sweat more on account of wearing two layers though?
██████
██████
██████

mongers

What's an undershirt?

edit:
come to that, what's 'fashion'?  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

I alway were a t-shirt under my shirts and they're normally exposed. Fuck fashion
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

Same.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2014, 12:19:35 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 17, 2014, 12:01:24 AM

I don't know why that wouldn't be common knowledge.

Not all of us live in NYC and some of us are straight.  :P

I'm going to see if I can take a survey on this today at the office. I bet a majority of straight American men have an undershirt exposed, but it may be close (some of us go back and forth). I also work in accounting, so that may skew things.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Undershirt and dress shirt is happening as we speak.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on July 17, 2014, 04:36:01 AM

Don't you sweat more on account of wearing two layers though?

Not much more.  It's like boxer shorts.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017