News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Undershirts and fashion

Started by alfred russel, July 16, 2014, 08:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Sparked by a slate article, like so many topics on languish.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/gentleman_scholar/2014/07/undershirts_and_fashion_should_a_gentleman_wear_a_t_shirt_under_a_dress.html

The article states that an exposed undershirt when wearing a dress shirt is a fashion faux pas. I found this immediately concerning, because I dress like that a lot. Alarmed, I started looking around and it seems most guys are doing the same as me--though not the europeans.

My general rule is that I lean toward crew necks, but if it is a dark shirt I sometimes go with a v neck that can't be seen. I tend to think that if you wear a v neck the undershirt should stay invisible. With a light shirt you can often seen the outline.

So what says languish?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

White crew neck. Exposed sometimes.  Seems not to be the thing with the young uns but don't care.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

As stocky and hairy as I am?  If the top button's not done, you'd better believe there's a white crew neck underneath.  Young'uns be damned- I'm not skinny enough for the way they dress.
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

I used to expose the undershirt proudly, to show that I can afford it.  However, eventually I did hear that it's a fashion faux-pas, so when it was time to get a new undershirt, I got a v-neck.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 16, 2014, 08:46:49 PM
I used to expose the undershirt proudly, to show that I can afford it.

:huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

IN SOVIET RUSSIA, SHIRT WEARS YOU
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

V-necks are more convenient in any case.  They're much easier to put on and take off, and I don't even need to take my glasses off to do it.

Admiral Yi

Ideologue

Should a gentleman wear a t-shirt under a dress?  Absolutely not.

I often wear t-shirts under dress shirts though, largely because I don't want to sweat through a powder blue button-up when it's hot, and because I don't want to shiver when it's cold.  I went undershirtless today, however, for it was pleasant and I was wearing a dark purple shirt.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on July 16, 2014, 10:13:09 PM
I often wear t-shirts under dress shirts though, largely because I don't want to sweat through a powder blue button-up when it's hot, and because I don't want to shiver when it's cold.

Also, you can rewear the same shirt without putting it through the wash.  :outback:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 16, 2014, 10:20:33 PM
I often wear t-shirts under dress shirts though, largely because I don't want to sweat through a powder blue button-up when it's hot, and because I don't want to shiver when it's cold.

Also, you can rewear the same shirt without putting it through the wash.  :outback:

:shifty:

It's true that I don't like to spend a lot of money to adhere to our "business casual" standard, which would make more sense if we saw clients more often than "maybe once, usually never."  Although granted there was that weird client that sent two guys from their outside counsel to hang out with us for like a week, even though they made it obvious that the reason they were sent out was that they were junior lawyers (they were marginally-trained legal neophytes who also knew nothing about doc review).

I will say that one of them dressed sharp as a fucking tack.  Never an undershirt, but only an always-pressed dress shirt with matching socks, his head crowned by an immaculate pompadour.  Really good looking guy if you're into femmy twinks with a 50s flavor, and some folks are.  I honestly am jealous of the little fucker's hair.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DontSayBanana

Should a gentleman wear a t-shirt under a dress?  Absolutely not.

I often wear t-shirts under dress shirts though, largely because I don't want to sweat through a powder blue button-up when it's hot, and because I don't want to shiver when it's cold.  I went undershirtless today, however, for it was pleasant and I was wearing a dark purple shirt.

Ick.  Those powder blue dress shirts tend to be almost transparent on me.  Nobody wants to see my nipples, let alone my dark chest hair.
Experience bij!

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.