Appeals Court: Texas Can Use Race in Admissions

Started by jimmy olsen, July 16, 2014, 12:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

What exactly does that mean?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/appeals-court-texas-can-use-race-admissions-n156786

QuoteAppeals Court: Texas Can Use Race in Admissions

A federal appeals court panel ruled Tuesday that the University of Texas can continue using race in its undergraduate admissions, a year after the U.S. Supreme Court sent the case back to a lower court. A 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel ruled 2-1 that barring the university from using race would hurt diversity on campus. The ruling came in a lawsuit filed in 2008 by Abigail Fisher, who is white and was denied admission.

"We are persuaded that to deny UT Austin its limited use of race in its search for holistic diversity would hobble the richness of the educational experience," the panel found.

The case went to the U.S. Supreme Court in June 2013. But rather than issue a landmark decision on affirmative action, the high court voted 7-1 to tell a lower appeals court to take another look at Fisher's lawsuit. The university said at the time that that decision would have no effect on its admissions policies. The university scheduled a news conference later Tuesday to react to the latest ruling. Fisher's attorneys said they plan to appeal.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quotelimited use of race in its search for holistic diversity

Sounds like a 1970s psychedelic album.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Good.  We can finally limit the over-represented Asians.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Both universities I attended had a deficit of Asians.  So I guess I was cheated of a diverse/rich educational experience from the other side :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on July 16, 2014, 09:21:05 AM
Both universities I attended had a deficit of Asians.  So I guess I was cheated of a diverse/rich educational experience from the other side :(

You should have majored in engineering.  In several of my graduate school classes I was the token white person.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Defetus double-majored in "Caucasian-American History" and "Male Studies."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 16, 2014, 12:08:43 AM
What exactly does that mean?

This was a case that was previously before the Supreme Court.  The Supreme Court held that promoting racial diversity could be permissible motive for the use of race in admissions decisions.  It sent the case back down to determine whether the particular means used by UT were sufficiently "narrowly tailored".  That is the only real legal question that was involved here. 

The "holistic" business came up because Fisher argued that the goals of diversity had already been achieved, based on a raw percentage of African-American and Hispanic students.  That is, the petitioner argued somewhat ironicially that diversity goals should be measured entirely by a numerical benchmark or quota.  The university disgreed and not that surprisingly so did the court.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 16, 2014, 09:43:54 AM
That is, the petitioner argued somewhat ironicially that diversity goals should be measured entirely by a numerical benchmark or quota.  The university disgreed and not that surprisingly so did the court.

What are the other measurements for diversity?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Savonarola on July 16, 2014, 09:28:41 AM
You should have majored in engineering.  In several of my graduate school classes I was the token white person.   :)

:yes: Not to mention faculty representation.  At the college I'm going to in the fall, 44% of the CSIS faculty are Asian.  In fact, my professor for Systems Analysis & Design is pretty much totally off-the-boat Chinese- even her grad degree was completed in Hong Kong).
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Great, an entire generation of CSIS-certified eggheads that can't drive for shit.

DontSayBanana

Also:

I'd actually be in favor of a striking of affirmative action.  The 14th prohibits discimination based on race.  It doesn't say "Discrimination prohibited based on race.  Unless you're white.  In which case, discriminate away- they had their chance."
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 16, 2014, 09:53:18 AM
:yes: Not to mention faculty representation.  At the college I'm going to in the fall, 44% of the CSIS faculty are Asian.  In fact, my professor for Systems Analysis & Design is pretty much totally off-the-boat Chinese- even her grad degree was completed in Hong Kong).

At both universities I attended the computer science faculty were nearly all white male nerds and Indian females.  I don't think I ever had an Asian instructor for any of my classes at all.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 16, 2014, 01:26:15 PM
Also:

I'd actually be in favor of a striking of affirmative action.  The 14th prohibits discimination based on race.  It doesn't say "Discrimination prohibited based on race.  Unless you're white.  In which case, discriminate away- they had their chance."

Here's what the relevant language actually says:
"No state shall . . . deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 16, 2014, 02:51:50 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 16, 2014, 01:26:15 PM
Also:

Here's what the relevant language actually says:
"No state shall . . . deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

I think DontSayBanana may have been thinking of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, not the 14th Amendment.