And we're back!

Main Menu

Bright Future for Solar Energy?

Started by Jacob, July 09, 2014, 12:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on July 09, 2014, 05:28:14 PM
What is coal rolling exactly?

http://www.inquisitr.com/1342582/coal-rolling-what-is-it-why-do-it-and-is-it-legal/

Modifying your engine to deliberately spew as much black smoke as possible, to troll "liberals".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

My parents bought an electric hybrid car yesterday.  :mellow:

I don't know what's more surprising;  that my father bought an electric car, or that he bought a Ford.  Always been a GM family.  Pop Pop just totaled his '55 Bel Air in heaven right now. 

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on July 09, 2014, 05:39:16 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 09, 2014, 05:28:14 PM
What is coal rolling exactly?

http://www.inquisitr.com/1342582/coal-rolling-what-is-it-why-do-it-and-is-it-legal/

Modifying your engine to deliberately spew as much black smoke as possible, to troll "liberals".

Seems to be a good way to identify mouth breathing morons.

Monoriu

Solar power is simply not practical in big cities. 

Caliga

I own both Kinder Morgan and Entergy stock right now, so I am opposed to solar.  More nuclear plants, pipelines, and gas guzzling PLZ.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

I suppose owning Enornoc I want more retarded renewable legislation to fuck up supply.  :hmm:

Ed Anger

I still ain't buying solar panels to put on the roof.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I recall from many years back that producing solar panels (the whole production cycle from getting resources to final installation) used to cost more energy than the panel would produce in its life time.

Has this improved by now?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Larch on July 09, 2014, 05:47:20 PM
Seems to be a good way to identify mouth breathing morons.

Too many false negatives for this test to be useful.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

I looked for coal rolling in youtube and found videos of people deliberately spewing black smoke at other people.  This is way beyond making a political protest.  I just don't think this is a good way to garner political support for their cause. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbAhfThNoco

Norgy

Coal isn't a good source of power. Solar is a good secondary source, if you hydro or similar as the primary energy source.

I have no doubt solar will become more affordable and competitive the next, say, decade.

Josquius

I read this a few days ago. Pretty funny about people being allowed solar panels only
If they promise not to sell it back.

Solar is nice and all but it is often forgotten that it is reliant on rather rare rare earths. I wonder how much capacity for it the earth has.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on July 10, 2014, 01:51:33 AM
I read this a few days ago. Pretty funny about people being allowed solar panels only

Solar is nice and all but it is often forgotten that it is reliant on rather rare rare earths. I wonder how much capacity for it the earth has.

That's one of the reasons putting solar panels for power generation on every house is questionable. But there are other ways to make (direct) solar power.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on July 10, 2014, 01:51:33 AM
Pretty funny about people being allowed solar panels only

Makes perfect sense under a system in which the utilities are required by law to purchase any and all renewable electricity offered by independent producers at a price determined by the government.