This is what happened when I drove my Mercedes to pick up food stamps

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, July 09, 2014, 11:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

QuoteThis is what happened when I drove my Mercedes to pick up food stamps

Sara Bareilles played softly through the surround-sound speakers of my husband's 2003 Mercedes Kompressor as I sat idling at a light. I'd never been to this church before, but I could see it from where I was, across from an old park, abandoned in the chilly September air. The clouds hung low as I pulled the sleek, pewter machine into the lot. But I wasn't going to pray or attend services. I was picking up food stamps.

Even then, I couldn't quite believe it. This wasn't supposed to happen to people like me.

I'll leave the rest for you to read at the WP.

I think its an odd, and somewhat damaging, shift in attitudes that poor people are not expected to have any nice things.  Used to be people would scrape and save for a good pair of shoes, or a nice car, or something similar.  Now they're expected to buy the cheapest shit Wal-Mart or Schmoymy's House of Clunkers sells, even if it costs more in the long run.  On top of that, where did this attitude that you need to sell all your valuables when you get poor come from?

CountDeMoney

Fuck the poor.  Repossess that Benz and give it to somebody who has earned it.

garbon

I think she raises some good points though I have to admit that I got distracted a bit when I read that her family is now flush again and she's attending grad school.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 09, 2014, 11:04:29 AM
I think its an odd, and somewhat damaging, shift in attitudes that poor people are not expected to have any nice things.  Used to be people would scrape and save for a good pair of shoes, or a nice car, or something similar.  Now they're expected to buy the cheapest shit Wal-Mart or Schmoymy's House of Clunkers sells, even if it costs more in the long run.  On top of that, where did this attitude that you need to sell all your valuables when you get poor come from?

Is it a shift? My father still holds onto anger on how my grandfather always got a new cadillac every few years despite the fact that he could barely provide the minimum necessities for his 9 children.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2014, 11:17:02 AM
I think she raises some good points though I have to admit that I got distracted a bit when I read that her family is now flush again and she's attending grad school.

Yeah. After all, the fucked are expected to stay fucked permanently, which is why we're supposed to be gutting all these goverment programs that do nothing more that help The Takers Take.  Who the hell does she think she is?  Entitled white bitch.

derspiess

I have to admit I get a little peeved at seeing the woman who gets free child care for her 4 kids at my kids day care place get into her current year car when I'm writing out that check every week when I drop my two off and get back into my 9-year old Camry.

If I want to get annoyed at poor people splurging on luxuries I deny myself I will, damnit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on July 09, 2014, 11:26:02 AM
I have to admit I get a little peeved at seeing the woman who gets free child care for her 4 kids at my kids day care place get into her current year car when I'm writing out that check every week when I drop my two off and get back into my 9-year old Camry.

If I want to get annoyed at poor people splurging on luxuries I deny myself I will, damnit.

My guess is she would gladly exchange your financial position for hers.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2014, 11:24:53 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2014, 11:17:02 AM

Yeah. After all, the fucked are expected to stay fucked permanently, which is why we're supposed to be gutting all these goverment programs that do nothing more that help The Takers Take.  Who the hell does she think she is?  Entitled white bitch.

No, that isn't what I was thinking at all.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2014, 11:33:34 AM

Well, of course. With more money she could buy more things. :huh:

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Making sacrifices & paying her own way?  Doubt it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Well, of course. With more money she could buy more things. :huh:

Exactly.  Not sure why there is surprise that people use the resources they have to buy things.  That is the predominant culture after all.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on July 09, 2014, 11:36:59 AM

Making sacrifices & paying her own way?  Doubt it.

Yeah, we have been around this issue before where people like you think that poor people deserve their lot in life.   And no matter how much evidence is cited to the contrary you still hold to that view.  I am no longer astonished.  I simply accept that there will always be the equivalent of the Republican party.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2014, 11:39:00 AM
Exactly.  Not sure why their is surprise that people use the resources they have to buy things.  That is the predominant culture after all.

Or maybe that auto leases are easier to acquire with cash down when you have shitty or no credit than it is to get an auto loan.

But hey, let's just bitch about them instead.

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2014, 11:43:58 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2014, 11:39:00 AM
Exactly.  Not sure why their is surprise that people use the resources they have to buy things.  That is the predominant culture after all.

Or maybe that auto leases are easier to acquire with cash down when you have shitty or no credit than it is to get an auto loan.

But hey, let's just bitch about them instead.

That won't answer the inevitable response from Spicey "Poors should take the bus before they get a better car than me."

But then it dawned on me.  Maybe he is one of the poors and is suffering from self hate  :hmm: