Have You Boycotted a Business for Political Reasons?

Started by Admiral Yi, July 02, 2014, 01:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Business to include individuals, like actors and writers.

Yes
15 (34.9%)
No
26 (60.5%)
durka durka durka
2 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Grey Fox

I refuse to shop at The Brick, a furniture store. Fuck that place.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: merithyn on July 02, 2014, 02:40:40 PM
:lol:

Hardly. If you wanted to know because you wanted to look into it yourself to decide if you wanted to make changes, then sure. But to have you pick the list apart and find minuscule reasons why you think I'm stupid for my choice? Nah, not worth it.

I've done my research and I'm comfortable with my choices. If you're really interested, feel free to do your own.

I find it interesting that you're willing to make enough of a statement to boycott a company, but not enough to talk about it.  Just saying, that kinda reeks more of passive aggression (nice anonymous way to "make a statement") than conviction.
Experience bij!

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2014, 08:08:12 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2014, 07:55:21 PM
No.  If I started down that road, I'd starve to death.

Is it that hard to grow vegetables? :unsure:

On my 1/10 of an acre of rented yard?  Yeah, man, it's that hard. :blink:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Ide disapproves of gardening stores. And farmers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Oh, and I continuously boycott Monsanto.  I find it ridiculous that that company gets away with so much bullshit just to bring us cheap weed killer.

More often, I wish I could boycott the government for economic reasons than the other way around- the reclassification of satellite and Internet radio to basically the highest fee bracket the FCC can legally get away with was a sore sport, for example.

Also, considering boycotting Comcast over the ridiculously poor-smelling merger with Time Warner Cable.  If it means I buy less games for my computer and pictures take longer to load, that seems like a fair price to pay.
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2014, 08:44:22 PM

On my 1/10 of an acre of rented yard?  Yeah, man, it's that hard. :blink:

There are a lot of things you can grow in pots. :hmm:

Anyway, you are a smart boy and I'm sure you could figure something out if you really wanted to. Why from my experience, Portland is a great place for even those without a lot of income to avoid a lot of major companies. And there I don't think most rental properties would take issue with you creating a garden.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

sbr

Ideologue

:D

You know, I say I'd feel more at home in Portland or Seattle or such, but I'd probably be looked on like a hillbilly stooge thanks to my accent (and lack of exactly McConaugheyan good looks).
Kinemalogue

sbr

Meh, some of us are more Gandolfini than McConaughey.

dps

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2014, 01:32:39 PM
No, I don't think I ever have. Only businesses I've every boycotted is because they've annoyed me but wasn't on political (or even religious) basis.

Yeah, same here.  Actually, I think Lowe's is the only place I simply refuse to shop at, and that is because we had a very unpleasant experience trying to buy some floor covering there.

Oh, an there was an auto dealership that pissed me off.  It was a Cadillac/Buick dealership back in the early 90's.  I was in the market for a new car at the time.  When I told the salesman who came out to talk to me that I was interested in looking at a Roadmaster, he said, "You don't look like you could afford a new Buick.  You probably should stick to Chevys, or used cars".   I told him that I could afford to take my business elsewhere.

merithyn

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 02, 2014, 08:43:31 PM
Quote from: merithyn on July 02, 2014, 02:40:40 PM
:lol:

Hardly. If you wanted to know because you wanted to look into it yourself to decide if you wanted to make changes, then sure. But to have you pick the list apart and find minuscule reasons why you think I'm stupid for my choice? Nah, not worth it.

I've done my research and I'm comfortable with my choices. If you're really interested, feel free to do your own.

I find it interesting that you're willing to make enough of a statement to boycott a company, but not enough to talk about it.  Just saying, that kinda reeks more of passive aggression (nice anonymous way to "make a statement") than conviction.

More like I know my audience. derspeiss neither lives around here nor gives two shits why I do or don't shop at places. What he wants is a list to pick apart, and I'm not interested in playing.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2014, 09:42:20 PM
And I live in Portland now?  Cool. :cool:

Because it would be impossible to get a plane ticket to Portland.

Inconvenient to move there? Sure, but your claim was that you would die if you adopted such standards and I'm certain you wouldn't choose death over inconvenience...right? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

I only boycott businesses owned by people who themselves have boycotted businesses for political reasons.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2014, 10:27:05 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2014, 09:42:20 PM
And I live in Portland now?  Cool. :cool:

Because it would be impossible to get a plane ticket to Portland.

Inconvenient to move there? Sure, but your claim was that you would die if you adopted such standards and I'm certain you wouldn't choose death over inconvenience...right? :unsure:

Wrong.  A life of inconvenience is a death by a thousand cuts.  I'd prefer only two.

Just kidding, but seriously, do you own a rental property in Portland or something?  You seem very invested in my move. :P
Kinemalogue