Have You Boycotted a Business for Political Reasons?

Started by Admiral Yi, July 02, 2014, 01:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Business to include individuals, like actors and writers.

Yes
15 (34.9%)
No
26 (60.5%)
durka durka durka
2 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Valmy

I will say this: there are several companies I probably would not do business with them for political reasons.  But I am already not doing business with them for other reasons that are not political at all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2014, 01:59:52 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 02, 2014, 01:56:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 02, 2014, 01:48:46 PM
Yes, I would go out of my way to avoid purchasing gas from Petro Canada, out of my belief that the government had no business owning an oil company.

That's funny, I go out of my to avoir purchasing anything at Petro Canada right now but it's mostly over them harassing me.

Its no longer a crown corporation so I doubt BB is still boycotting.

Old habits die hard.  :blush:  I still rarely buy gas from Petro Can, although you're right it hasn't been owned by the government for several years (and for several years before that the government only owned a minority stake).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

In answer to the question I try to support small local businesses when possible.  So I go to a local butcher, green grocer and baker for much of my food rather than buying from a large grocery store.  You might not call that a political decision but that misses the point I was making in the other thread that decisions made by consumers have important impacts on the world around them.  My local green grocer tends to have more locally grown product.  By supporting that grocer I also support local growers who cannot grow to the quantity required to supply large grocery stores.

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2014, 02:29:23 PM
In answer to the question I try to support small local businesses when possible.  So I go to a local butcher, green grocer and baker for much of my food rather than buying from a large grocery store.  You might not call that a political decision but that misses the point I was making in the other thread that decisions made by consumers have important impacts on the world around them.  My local green grocer tends to have more locally grown product.  By supporting that grocer I also support local growers who cannot grow to the quantity required to supply large grocery stores.

Same.

Quote from: derspiess on July 02, 2014, 02:07:28 PM
Quote from: merithyn on July 02, 2014, 01:59:23 PM
Yes, several.

List plz :)

:lol:

Hardly. If you wanted to know because you wanted to look into it yourself to decide if you wanted to make changes, then sure. But to have you pick the list apart and find minuscule reasons why you think I'm stupid for my choice? Nah, not worth it.

I've done my research and I'm comfortable with my choices. If you're really interested, feel free to do your own.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

viper37

No, I don't think I've ever boycotted a store for political reasons.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Agelastus

Obviously enough given another thread here, no. Not for political reasons.

I do boycott my local Co-Op though...but that's because I got sick of them replacing the few things that they did better than anyone else locally with something worse (or having them disappear completely.)

Fish pies, Caramel shortcakes, Hovis Bread (which they must have got from a different factory to the others as it was consistenlty the best in the area)... :glare:

Convenience needs some additional selling factor to win against expense (in other words they were closest but dearest.)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Eddie Teach

No, though my government has boycotted a lot of them for me, particularly Cuban ones.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

It has pushed decisions agains things I was already uninterested in but not a full boycott of something I would otherwise use
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

No.  If I started down that road, I'd starve to death.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

I find that not spending money on particular entities isn't as nearly effective as spending on organizations that actively oppose them.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2014, 07:55:21 PM

Is it that hard to grow vegetables? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2014, 08:08:12 PM

Nope! My tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers are doing fan-freaking-tastic! :w00t:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on July 02, 2014, 08:10:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2014, 08:08:12 PM

Nope! My tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers are doing fan-freaking-tastic! :w00t:

Yeah, I mean my father has a rather large garden. When I was last visiting I suggested he expand it because he has so much else growing on his deck that needs to be planted somewhere.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.