And we're back!

Main Menu

SCOTUS decides for Hobby Lobby

Started by merithyn, June 30, 2014, 12:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on July 02, 2014, 10:00:09 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 02, 2014, 09:41:12 AM
I would fund Tim being torn apart by wild dogs.

Kickstarter for that, perhaps?  :hmm:

Indiegogo. I get the money even if I don't reach the funding target.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Okay, I'll put money toward it if you can show me a cost breakdown for the dogs and some sort of analysis on how many dogs it will take.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I want pit bulls, some German shepards and a Shiba Inu to look cute.

I figure 250K.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on July 02, 2014, 09:03:01 AM
I am always a bit amazed at how for so many people their core beliefs are pretty much motivated by a bizarre combination of spite and misogyny.

Then I am amazed at myself for continuing to be amazed.

One could, if one wanted, say more or less the same  thing about *any* political position.

merithyn

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 02, 2014, 09:09:38 AM
I am always a bit amazed at how for so many people their core beliefs are pretty much motivated by a bizarre combination of spite and misogyny.

None of that surprises me at all. But what has always surprised me is some number of people actually care about the political activities or beliefs of the ownership of places they shop. If I'm going through a fast food place or a convenience store or a hardware store I care about what I'm getting for my dollar and don't really give a fuck what goes on in that company otherwise. Not my business or concern if they have slaves working in the back or the owner eats babies for  breakfast.

It matters to me that I don't support certain entities, like the whole Alliance for Marriage thing. Some companies directly contribute to those organizations through corporate donations, and others do it from their personal income. I don't necessarily mind the personal income thing since that's their paycheck to do with as they please, but the corporate donations thing means that my money is going pretty much straight from me to that organization. I'd rather not do that.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2014, 10:28:15 AM

One could, if one wanted, say more or less the same  thing about *any* political position.

You think all political positions are motivated by a combination of spite and misogyny?

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on July 01, 2014, 02:52:37 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 01, 2014, 02:02:57 PM
Quote from: merithyn on July 01, 2014, 01:56:18 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 01, 2014, 01:29:45 PM
To be honest, I didn't realize I was defending a position that healthcare is the make or break decision factor. I'm not even sure what's his name was making that argument, despite Seeding framing it as such.

AR certainly sounded as though he was saying that if people don't like it, they don't have to work there. Seedy and  I are saying that it's not that simple, since people on the poverty line will take whatever job they can get and worry about the benefits later.

It seems the argument goes like this: "freedom to find another job" works well for resource-strong middle class types and above; ergo, there is no need to provide any support to more vulnerable people.

Sure if you want to be a jerk and make up positions for people.

You're free to find another board to post on if you don't like this one :)

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on July 02, 2014, 11:00:23 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 01, 2014, 02:52:37 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 01, 2014, 02:02:57 PM
Quote from: merithyn on July 01, 2014, 01:56:18 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 01, 2014, 01:29:45 PM
To be honest, I didn't realize I was defending a position that healthcare is the make or break decision factor. I'm not even sure what's his name was making that argument, despite Seeding framing it as such.

AR certainly sounded as though he was saying that if people don't like it, they don't have to work there. Seedy and  I are saying that it's not that simple, since people on the poverty line will take whatever job they can get and worry about the benefits later.

It seems the argument goes like this: "freedom to find another job" works well for resource-strong middle class types and above; ergo, there is no need to provide any support to more vulnerable people.

Sure if you want to be a jerk and make up positions for people.

You're free to find another board to post on if you don't like this one :)

I think if I was going to dislike Languish because people sometimes post jerky things, I likely would have left in 2003. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2014, 11:01:43 AM
I think if I was going to dislike Languish because people sometimes post jerky things, I likely would have left in 2003. ;)

:lol:

Posting jerky things is pretty much the reason for languish's existence.

Valmy

Is there a message board out there where everybody posts nice things?  Languish does not seem that exceptional.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on July 02, 2014, 10:58:22 AM
You think all political positions are motivated by a combination of spite and misogyny?

I think very few are.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2014, 11:12:08 AM
Is there a message board out there where everybody posts nice things?  Languish does not seem that exceptional.

You don't believe in Languish exceptionalism? :o  :mad: You're probably some pinko commie foreigner who likes soccer.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on July 02, 2014, 10:48:53 AM
It matters to me that I don't support certain entities, like the whole Alliance for Marriage thing. Some companies directly contribute to those organizations through corporate donations, and others do it from their personal income. I don't necessarily mind the personal income thing since that's their paycheck to do with as they please, but the corporate donations thing means that my money is going pretty much straight from me to that organization. I'd rather not do that.

How much of your money is going to the cause you dislike, though?  Is it enough to really lose sleep over?  I have a hard time understanding that mentality-- I have enough things in life to juggle without worrying about a company using three cents from my purchase to support Planned Parenthood.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on July 02, 2014, 11:40:39 AM
Quote from: merithyn on July 02, 2014, 10:48:53 AM

How much of your money is going to the cause you dislike, though?  Is it enough to really lose sleep over?  I have a hard time understanding that mentality-- I have enough things in life to juggle without worrying about a company using three cents from my purchase to support Planned Parenthood.

I think it is something of a sliding scale.

For example, I find Chik-fil-A's donating to anti-human rights organizations completely reprehensible. Not quite as bad as the Holocaust, but close.

On the other hand, Chik-fil-A nuggets and sandwhiches are fucking awesome. So yeah...have to find something else to boycott.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: merithyn on July 02, 2014, 10:48:53 AMIt matters to me that I don't support certain entities, like the whole Alliance for Marriage thing. Some companies directly contribute to those organizations through corporate donations, and others do it from their personal income. I don't necessarily mind the personal income thing since that's their paycheck to do with as they please, but the corporate donations thing means that my money is going pretty much straight from me to that organization. I'd rather not do that.

Why? Money exchanged in a transaction is money to buy what you're buying, no more, no less. There's no moral impingement as to what happens after that. Money donated to a cause is money donated to a cause. I don't see how there is any moral or rational relationship between what I buy and what happens with that "money" right after I hand it over. It's no longer my property at that point.