News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

SCOTUS decides for Hobby Lobby

Started by merithyn, June 30, 2014, 12:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

In Citizens United, none of the rights of the individual human beings that made up the corporation were implicated because all of them were free to contribute money in political campaigns.  The question was whether the entity itself had some kind of meta-right to contribute funds qua entity.

Here Alito is proceeding from the backwards premise.   He actually concedes that in cases involving large publicly traded companies, RFRA claims could not arise because one could not attribute a religious belief or point of view to the corporation.  He points out that the companies at issue in Hobby Lobby are closely held and thus attributes the beliefs of the unitary owners to the entities.

Using the same logic, a large or diversely owned company cannot hold political views, and thus cannot have its speech rights burdened by the finance laws at issue in Citizens United.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 30, 2014, 12:53:01 PM
In Citizens United, none of the rights of the individual human beings that made up the corporation were implicated because all of them were free to contribute money in political campaigns.  The question was whether the entity itself had some kind of meta-right to contribute funds qua entity.

Did the ruling specifically say the corporation has rights in addition to those of its owners?  I thought this was just a bumper sticker line from The Nation or The Progressive.

Malthus

What's the slippery slope implications? I know the ruling was limited to contraception, but is there any logical reason to confine it to that?

If, for example, a closely-held corp was owned by Christian Scientists, could it refuse to fund health insurance generally? 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

The problem with the Christian Scientist example is, AFAIK, they don't have a problem with non-believers using medicine.

Same with Jews/Muslims pork etc.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2014, 01:14:46 PM
The problem with the Christian Scientist example is, AFAIK, they don't have a problem with non-believers using medicine.

So if there was a religion established, which there probably is, that did have a problem with non-believers using medicine then they could? 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2014, 01:17:28 PM
So if there was a religion established, which there probably is, that did have a problem with non-believers using medicine then they could?

I would think so.

A ruling either way would have been problematic IMO.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2014, 01:14:46 PM

Is that the test? Something that believers have a problem with non-believers doing?

How about Scientologists and psychiatry? They definitely believe it is evil in general, not just 'not for them'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scientology_psychiatry_kills.jpg
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

I don't know if that's THE test.  It's A problem I found with your (and Ginsberg's) examples.

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on June 30, 2014, 01:12:51 PM
What's the slippery slope implications? I know the ruling was limited to contraception, but is there any logical reason to confine it to that?

If, for example, a closely-held corp was owned by Christian Scientists, could it refuse to fund health insurance generally?

My understanding is that it has always been the case that closely held companies can opt out of various bits and pieces of health insurance, but in doing so, they were required to pay additional taxes and fines. Hobby Lobby didn't want to pay this, and so went to the Supreme Court in order to avoid doing so.

Minsky, is this correct?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

alfred russel

I'm sort of confused why this is a big deal. The number of closely held businesses that are morally opposed to birth control must be very small, and it isn't as though there is a long held right to free contraceptives that is being violated.

At the same time, I doubt Hobby Lobby really cares. Probably if it is more into this to save money or oppose obama.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

I always wondered why birth control suddenly became a big concern for protestants like the Hobby Lobby owner.  Worrying about birth control used to be something we made fun of the catholics about. :p
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on June 30, 2014, 01:36:45 PM
I always wondered why birth control suddenly became a big concern for protestants like the Hobby Lobby owner.  Worrying about birth control used to be something we made fun of the catholics about. :p

I don't think he's quite the same type of mainstream protestant you & I are.  Also, his main objection seems to be over morning after pills and IUDs.  IUDs can apparently prevent a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus, so to him that's basically abortion.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on June 30, 2014, 01:34:08 PM
I'm sort of confused why this is a big deal. The number of closely held businesses that are morally opposed to birth control must be very small, and it isn't as though there is a long held right to free contraceptives that is being violated.

At the same time, I doubt Hobby Lobby really cares. Probably if it is more into this to save money or oppose obama.

It may not be a big deal.  If you read the discussion we are having it concerns the implications of the decision beyond this one case.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2014, 01:43:02 PM
It may not be a big deal.  If you read the discussion we are having it concerns the implications of the decision beyond this one case.

Culture War :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 30, 2014, 12:24:47 PM
I was happy with the ruling but after that initial reaction wore off, I realized it wouldn't have been that huge a deal either way.  Some days I just don't feel like participating in TEH CULTURE WAR.

You just need to have your buttons pushed.  Read a bunch of articles from Breitbart.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017