News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Special effects that most impressed you

Started by Razgovory, June 28, 2014, 01:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Could you guys please stop arguing about something none of you have any kind of practical experience in? Or move it to it's own thread. There is a limit to inane childish nerdery even here. Jeesh.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2014, 01:56:16 PM
Could you guys please stop arguing about something none of you have any kind of practical experience in? Or move it to it's own thread. There is a limit to inane childish nerdery even here. Jeesh.

Could you for one day stop being such a freaking wet blanket about everything? Jeesh.

Or if you wish to confine discussion about stuff we have "practical experience in", I guess we have to abandon the thread entirely - exactly how much "practical experience" do you have of any "special effects"?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

And yet Languish also complains when the lawyers cabal goes on at length about legal issues (which of course is one of the areas I do have a lot of practical experience in).

Make up your mind, Languish. :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on June 30, 2014, 02:05:15 PM

And yet Languish also complains when the lawyers cabal goes on at length about legal issues (which of course is one of the areas I do have a lot of practical experience in).

Make up your mind, Languish. :mad:

Next up: lawyers tilting at each other on horseback to decide cases.

"Because this is a hell of a lot more exciting than (even) injunctions".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Maybe we should just talk about space travel.   :(

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Iormlund

Quote from: Malthus on June 30, 2014, 02:00:31 PM

Could you for one day stop being such a freaking wet blanket about everything? Jeesh.

Or if you wish to confine discussion about stuff we have "practical experience in", I guess we have to abandon the thread entirely - exactly how much "practical experience" do you have of any "special effects"?

I have professional experience creating CGI (mostly with Maya).  :ccr

Malthus

Quote from: Iormlund on June 30, 2014, 02:11:06 PM

I have professional experience creating CGI (mostly with Maya).  :ccr

You can stay. So can Katmai. Hell, he *is* a special effect.  :P

garbon

You realize, of course, that I just copied verbatim another poster's comment? :unsure:

That said, do continue. Tell me how you really feel. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2014, 02:13:17 PM

You realize, of course, that I just copied verbatim another poster's comment? :unsure:

Um, no. Is there any reason why I (or anyone) should know, verbatum, every single sentence ever written by anyone on this site?   :lol:

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on June 30, 2014, 02:19:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2014, 02:13:17 PM

Um, no. Is there any reason why I (or anyone) should know, verbatum, every single sentence ever written by anyone on this site?   :lol:

No, but it was intended as a joke as the individual who made that comment originally was mocked widely. :)

CountDeMoney

Eddie Teach

No, but you should be following the Game of Thrones thread because Game of Thrones is awesome.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 30, 2014, 02:37:13 PM

No, but you should be following the Game of Thrones thread because Game of Thrones is awesome.

Don't need spoilers.  :P

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on June 30, 2014, 01:55:42 PM

Both pics appear to depict cavalry fighting other masses of cavalry.

Historically, instances of masses of cavalry successfully charging into formed masses of infantry (when the infantry stood its ground) were pretty rare. The physics of the situation are against this working out well for the cavalry.

For one, cavalry of necessity takes up a lot more space than infantry. Each lancer would be facing several enemies on foot.

For another, most horses tend to refuse to impale themselves on pointy sticks for the greater good. They would rather either stop or turn away ... with predictably bad results if the ranks of horsemen are packed tightly together.

The primary impact of a mass charge straight at mass infantry was psychological ... that is, unless discipline and training were good, infantry would tend to run rather than face an avalanche of horseflesh. Running from cavalry is, of course, fatal, as you can't outrun a horse.

If you look carefully at the second first picture there are lancers charging what appears to be pike and shot formations.  I don't know how smart horses are and if they are willing to charge into a people with pointy sticks.  I'm thinking that multiple ranks are there so the they don't turn away, and that the momentum and sheer mass is enough to crash through.  I'm also thinking that horses often get killed in the charge and people get thrown from horses quite a bit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017