News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Special effects that most impressed you

Started by Razgovory, June 28, 2014, 01:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

I always liked the Rohan cavalry charge in LOTR: Return of the King.  That's how you use medieval cavalry, baby: like a ten pin bowling ball.

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 29, 2014, 09:53:03 AM
I always liked the Rohan cavalry charge in LOTR: Return of the King.  That's how you use medieval cavalry, baby: like a ten pin bowling ball.

in blocs 20 riders deep? into formed packed infantry?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Why not.  Animal welfare wasn't invented yet.

CountDeMoney

Besides, using the Riders of Rohan to disrupt Sauron's supply lines 20 miles away is bor-ring.

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 29, 2014, 10:01:33 AM

The horses had a keen sense of animal welfare :contract:

But, seriously, apart from the use of armoured meleé Cataphractii and Clibinarii is there any case in history where cavalry charged into formed infantry?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on June 29, 2014, 10:06:10 AM
But, seriously, apart from the use of armoured meleé Cataphractii and Clibinarii is there any case in history where cavalry charged into formed infantry?

In "Wellington in the Peninsula" I read about one minor battle in which the British managed to break a French square because one of the horses got shot and plowed into the square.

But yeah, from what I've read either the infantry broke and got slaughtered or the cavalry pulled up short, did some taunting and rode back to their lines.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

The most impressive effect in LOTR was making the shorties look short.  Very few frames in which I even thought about the fact  that the Hobbit actors are not 3 feet  tall.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2014, 10:09:53 AM
or the cavalry pulled up short, did some taunting and rode back to their lines.

Typical of an army where the cavalry was the traditional playground reserved for the aristocracy.

Barrister

The transformation scene in American Werewolf in London was extremely impressive for the time.

And although it's impact now has been lessened by endless copying, but the "bullet time" effects in The Matrix were amazing when I first saw them.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on June 29, 2014, 10:24:47 AM
The transformation scene in American Werewolf in London was extremely impressive for the time.

Good one, I remember being impressed.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 29, 2014, 10:20:08 AM
Typical of an army where the cavalry was the traditional playground reserved for the aristocracy.

Also typical of conscript peasant cavalry during the Napoleonic and Victorian ages.  The historical instances of cavalry beating infantry who stood their ground face to face are few and far between.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 29, 2014, 10:01:33 AM

Neither were pikes, it would seem.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Brain on June 29, 2014, 10:15:40 AM
Forbidden Planet impressed me.

I watched it last night.  It is pretty great.  Other than a wobble on the cruiser in flight (even in space) it's nigh-on pristine.

The only severe effects-related flub is that bizarre failure to cut a second earlier when the film reveals in no uncertain terms that Altaira's wearing not just a flesh-colored bathing suit to simulate nudity, but what looks like a cream cocktail dress. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Siege

Quote from: Viking on June 28, 2014, 02:00:10 PM
The model spaceships from star wars, it still holds up while cgi doesn't.

This. Star Wars, TOT, remains the most influential piece of art/entertainment in my entire life.
Freedom, Empire, racial discrimination, facing overwhelming odds, they are all there.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"