News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russia's Early Warning System Is Falling Apart

Started by jimmy olsen, June 26, 2014, 06:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue"The Time For A First Strike Against Russia Is Now!"

http://io9.com/one-of-russias-last-remaining-early-warning-satellites-1595985431
QuoteOne of Russia's Last Remaining Early-Warning Satellites Just Died

Yesterday 12:00pm

The Russian Ministry of Defense has announced that its only geostationary early-warning satellite — the Cosmos-2479, launched two years ago — is no longer functioning. With just two other observation satellites left in orbit, the chances of a false-alarm nuclear attack just escalated.

An incident that occurred 20 years ago helps illustrate why this news merits a severe case of the uh-ohs. At dawn on January 25, 1995, Norwegian scientists and their NASA colleagues launched a large sounding rocket from Andoya Island, off the coast of Norway, to study the Northern Lights. As the rocket climbed in altitude, it was detected by a Russian radar installation 470 miles away at Olenegursk. The trajectory suggested that it could be a Trident missile, launched from a U.S. submarine, to detonate in the atmosphere and blind Russian early-warning radars to a massive first strike. Within minutes, Russia's command and control system was placed on higher alert and President Boris Yeltsin activated his "nuclear briefcase," allowing him to issue launch orders, if necessary.

Yeltsin, learning that it was a false alarm, never launched those missiles, thanks in large part to a complete fleet of early-warning satellites that Russia had inherited from the Soviet Union — which provided continuous, 24-hour surveillance of U.S. continental missile fields.

Not any more.

Russia has traditionally relied on two different types of satellites — a redundancy system designed to detect missile launches while also reducing the likelihood of false alarms. One type follows a highly elliptical orbit (HEO) that looks at the Earth at a glancing angle, so that it can easily detect missile plumes silhouetted against the dark background of space—thus reducing the chance that incoming missiles could be mistaken for naturally occurring phenomena. (The two remaining Russian early-warning spacecraft, Cosmos-2422 and Cosmos-2446, are HEO satellites.)

However, in 1983, there was the "Autumn Equinox Incident," when an HEO satellite, the sun and U.S. missile fields aligned in such a way that light reflecting off high-orbit clouds appeared to be a missile in flight. That incident prompted Moscow to widen its field of vision by launching geostationary satellites — remaining in the same position relative to a stationary observer on Earth — which were designed to look straight down at the U.S.

That additional capability is now gone. And, with only two early-warning satellites, Russia's period of surveillance has dropped from 24 hours to 3 hours per day.

Several U.S. security officials still wonder if things would have turned out differently during the 1995 false alarm, if the incident had taken place during a political crisis or period of tension between the U.S. and Russia.

Today, Russia's early-warning system is falling apart during an actual period of political tension. Just one month ago, the U.S. and Russia conducted large-scale nuclear drills within days of one another. The Cold War is over, but it's getting a bit too chilly to be comfortable with Russia's broken early-warning system.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Heh, Russia has the capacity to to transport US/other astronauts to the Space Station, yet hasn't bothered to upgrade such a critical satellite system!

Viking

Quote from: KRonn on June 26, 2014, 10:28:59 AM
Heh, Russia has the capacity to to transport US/other astronauts to the Space Station, yet hasn't bothered to upgrade such a critical satellite system!

NASA pays with Hard Currency.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Not much "critical" about it, given that its job was to confirm what was already known;  that the US wasn't launching missiles at Russia.

I'll bet the Russian DSP satellite over Asia has a back up!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

QuoteHowever, in 1983, there was the "Autumn Equinox Incident," when an HEO satellite, the sun and U.S. missile fields aligned in such a way that light reflecting off high-orbit clouds appeared to be a missile in flight.

Right. :lol:

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

Totalitarian regimes always fail.

Putin's eye was focused on Ukraine and two hobbits sneaked in and destroyed the ring of early warning.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on June 26, 2014, 01:58:48 PM
QuoteHowever, in 1983, there was the "Autumn Equinox Incident," when an HEO satellite, the sun and U.S. missile fields aligned in such a way that light reflecting off high-orbit clouds appeared to be a missile in flight.

Right. :lol:

Was it aliens? :tinfoil:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

I was misquoted.  I'm sure I was talking about China.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on June 26, 2014, 09:29:31 PM
I am positive you said this several years back when an article outlining the decrepit state of the Russian early warning system was posted.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Getting people to and from the space station is critical.
Trying to get a few minutes advantage on non-existent American sneak attack...less so.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 26, 2014, 10:15:36 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 26, 2014, 09:29:31 PM
I am positive you said this several years back when an article outlining the decrepit state of the Russian early warning system was posted.

It was in response to an Atlantic article from about ten years ago that indicated that the Russian and Chinese nuclear deterrents were absolutely incredible, in that they could not survive a first strike at all.  I do not recall advocating any particular course of action vis-a-vis Russia.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

KRonn

Quote from: Tyr on June 27, 2014, 12:30:26 AM
Getting people to and from the space station is critical.
Trying to get a few minutes advantage on non-existent American sneak attack...less so.

The issue I was referring to was the problems the Russkies have had with early warning systems before and being able to determine that a nuclear attack hasn't been made so as not to panic and start launching missiles.   :hmm:   

Razgovory

What a silly alarmist story.  Sure the satellite network may not be up to snuff, but missile compounds all have burglar alarms and most of them keep their virus protection up to date.  So they have plenty of early warning systems working.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.