Supreme Court Rules Unanimously: Police Need Warrants to Search Cell Phone Data

Started by jimmy olsen, June 25, 2014, 10:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Woo!

http://online.wsj.com/articles/high-court-police-usually-need-warrants-for-cell-phone-data-1403706571

QuoteHigh Court: Police Need Warrants to Search Cell Phone Data
Unanimous Supreme Court Says Privacy Interests Outweigh Police Convenience

By
Jess Bravin
connect
Updated June 25, 2014 10:47 a.m. ET

WASHINGTON—The Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that police generally must obtain a warrant before searching mobile devices after arresting someone.

The court, in a unanimous ruling by Chief Justice John Roberts, said both the quantity and quality of information contained in modern handheld hand-heldis constitutionally protected.

Chief Justice Roberts rejected law-enforcement arguments that cellphones fell under a longstandlong-standingn to the warrant requirement that allows police to search the contents of suspects' pockets to make sure they don't carry weapons or destroy evidence.

"Modern cellphones are not jaren'tther technological convenience," Chief Justice Roberts wrote. "With all they contain and all they may reveal, they hold for many Americans 'the privacies of life,'" he wrote.

"Our answer to the question of what police must do before searching a cell phone seized incident to an arrest is accordingly simple—get a warrant," the chief justice added.

Lower courts had been split on the question, and the justices themselves have been grappling with the bounds of privacy in the digital age, sometimes tilting toward government, other times toward the individual.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Wow.  That's not the kind of ruling you expect from this Supreme Court.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on June 25, 2014, 10:14:44 AM

Yep.  I am amazed it was unanimous.  A nice victory.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on June 25, 2014, 10:14:44 AM

No kidding. It seems much to sane and obvious.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

"Modern cellphones are not jaren'tther technological convenience," Chief Justice Roberts wrote.

Damn good  point.

I thought there were good arguments on both sides and am suprised by the unanimous decision.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 25, 2014, 10:18:38 AM
Seedy disapproves.

Yes, I do.

QuoteModern cell phones, as a category, implicate privacy concerns far beyond those implicated by the search of a cigarette pack, a wallet, or a purse," Roberts wrote.

Oh, bullshit.  Scrolling through the directory of a suspect's cell phone found on his person is no different from thumbing through his little black book. Next time turn on the 4 digit security code before you get arrested.

Although I liked Clarence Thomas's quote during the arguments--

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

You are an absolute Kreskin for remembering my arguments on the topic in the extensive discussion thread we had on it just a few months ago, dermemory.

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 25, 2014, 10:03:55 AM

Chief Justice Roberts rejected law-enforcement arguments that cellphones fell under a longstandlong-standingn to the warrant requirement that allows police to search the contents of suspects' pockets to make sure they don't carry weapons or destroy evidence.

Does law-enforcement even try anymore?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 25, 2014, 11:17:33 AM
You are an absolute Kreskin for remembering my arguments on the topic in the extensive discussion thread we had on it just a few months ago, dermemory.

I don't recall any such thread.  I'm pretty sure I never read it.  I just know that SEEDY HATES FREEDOM

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 25, 2014, 12:11:12 PM
I stand firmly with Seedy.  What a dumb decision.

Yeah how idiotic that the Constitution should impact law enforcement.  It is not like it is relevant to our legal system in anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."