Austrian tourist brochure advises Arabs not to haggle or eat on the floor

Started by Syt, June 23, 2014, 04:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on June 23, 2014, 06:05:44 PM
Yesterday I was sitting on a riverside park bench, when a couple sat next to me and the woman started smoking, yuck.

After a while the woman put the cigarette butt on the ground and stamped it out, I was just going to reminder her to pick it up when she left and put it in the bin, littering being an fixed penalty offense here, when I noticed they were speaking German.  So didn't bother to make the point.

I guess there's a 1 in 10 chance they were Austrians, so no surprise there, if the case.  :rolleyes:

Sounds like a good way to start a fire, unless there was a special cigarette disposal bin thingie.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 05:00:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 23, 2014, 04:53:51 PM
No, rather I am claiming the opposite.  I am claiming that the danger is the same whether one is in the first world or not becuase the preparation of these dishes does not rely on first world technology but rather the methods that have been used since long before we had refrigeration.

Not following you. Is there some method of safely preparing raw pork that doesn't rely on refrigeration or any other modern tech?

maybe hanging it out to dry for months on end like Parma?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2014, 04:48:54 PM
I believe it has cayenne pepper.
:hmm: Cincinnati chili ain't hot.  In fact I often add tabasco to it @ Skyline.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 24, 2014, 01:52:07 AM
It's really not that common.

But it is there right?  I mean when I was in France I had to eat the most notorious stuff they eat.  Frogs, snails, rabbits, goose livers, and so forth.  Because I went all the way here I might as well.  Actually they were all fantastic :frog:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 24, 2014, 01:48:16 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 05:00:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 23, 2014, 04:53:51 PM
No, rather I am claiming the opposite.  I am claiming that the danger is the same whether one is in the first world or not becuase the preparation of these dishes does not rely on first world technology but rather the methods that have been used since long before we had refrigeration.

Not following you. Is there some method of safely preparing raw pork that doesn't rely on refrigeration or any other modern tech?

maybe hanging it out to dry for months on end like Parma?

Well, sure, but I wouldn't describe that as "raw". More like "pork jerky".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

I believe the principle flavoring in Cincy chilli is cinnamon.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2014, 08:53:05 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 23, 2014, 04:48:54 PM
I believe it has cayenne pepper.
:hmm: Cincinnati chili ain't hot.  In fact I often add tabasco to it @ Skyline.

Yep.  Didn't say how much they use.  They also put paprika in it, but obviously not a lot of that, either.  It's too "spicy" for people like my in-laws who have zero tolerance for spiciness.  But for most of us it hardly registers.

They occasionally have jalapeno cheddar at Skyline and that helps kick it up a little.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2014, 12:04:45 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 24, 2014, 09:01:36 AM
It's too "spicy" for people like my in-laws
:huh:

Argies have a very low tolerance for any spiciness.  Their food includes none of it.  Most of them can't handle mild salsa.

Caliga

:hmm: I have eaten at Argentine restaurants and I don't think the food was spicy, but I didn't really think anything of it at the time.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2014, 12:13:00 PM
:hmm: I have eaten at Argentine restaurants and I don't think the food was spicy, but I didn't really think anything of it at the time.

They use a lot of garlic and some herbs in their cooking.  They hardly ever even use black pepper.  On our dinner tables we have salt & pepper.  On an Argentine dinner table you have salt & salt (they really seem to like salt).   Their pizza sauce tends to be a little bland as well.

Most people (not saying you or anyone else here) assume Argentine food = Mexican food.  It's mainly Spanish/Italian with some French, German, and English influences, plus a few things they came up with on their own.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on June 24, 2014, 12:10:45 PM
Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2014, 12:04:45 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 24, 2014, 09:01:36 AM
It's too "spicy" for people like my in-laws
:huh:

Argies have a very low tolerance for any spiciness.  Their food includes none of it.  Most of them can't handle mild salsa.

I learned something today.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on June 24, 2014, 12:22:34 PM
Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2014, 12:13:00 PM

They use a lot of garlic and some herbs in their cooking.  They hardly ever even use black pepper.  On our dinner tables we have salt & pepper.  On an Argentine dinner table you have salt & salt (they really seem to like salt).   Their pizza sauce tends to be a little bland as well.

Most people (not saying you or anyone else here) assume Argentine food = Mexican food.  It's mainly Spanish/Italian with some French, German, and English influences, plus a few things they came up with on their own.

That was my assumption going to south america - that it would be like mexican food.  I was of course quite wrong in that, and Brazillians don't like or use any heat in their food.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

I would never make that assumption. :)  But I don't have any reason to anyway since I've eaten at Argentine, Spanish, and (real) Mexican restaurants, not to mention Cuban, Peruvian, Colombian, Portuguese, and Brazilian restaurants, so I've been directly exposed to all of these cuisines and am aware of the major differences.