Pope Francis excommunicates Italian mobsters

Started by Syt, June 21, 2014, 02:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/06/21/pope-excommunicates-mafia-members/

QuotePope excommunicates Italian mobsters

(CNN) - Using his strongest language to date, Pope Francis told Italian Mafia members Saturday that they are excommunicated from the Catholic Church.

"Those who in their life have gone along the evil ways, as in the case of the Mafia, they are not with God, they are excommunicated," Francis said.

It is the first time a Pope has spoken of excommunication for the Mafia.

Excommunication, which excludes Catholics from the church, can be imposed by church authorities or incurred automatically for certain grave offenses.

The Pope's remarks will resonate strongly in this part of southern Italy, where the Mafia attempt to portray themselves as upstanding religious men in good rapport with the Catholic Church, in order to maintain local credibility.

During a one-day visit to Calabria, in southern Italy, the Pope denounced the local mafia, called 'Ndrangheta, as an example of "the adoration of evil and contempt for the common good."

According to reports, 'Ndrangheta is one of the wealthiest international crime organizations, with an annual turnover of 53 billion euros, much of it from the global cocaine trade.

Calabria also suffers from 56% youth unemployment, which the Mafia exploits with promises of jobs for disillusioned young people.

"They must be told, No!" the Pope said to a crowd of over 100,000 gathered in Piana di Sibari, Calabria, for an outdoor Mass.

Prosecutor: Pope faces threat from the mafia

Earlier during his visit, Pope Francis met with relatives of a 3-year-old boy, Nicola Campolongo, who was the victim of an alleged Mafia hit in January. Nicknamed Coco, the boy was with his grandfather when they were both shot and their bodies subsequently burned in a car.

It is not the first time the Pope has spoken out against the Mafia. In March in Rome at a meeting with families of victims, the Pope called directly on Mafia bosses to repent, saying "hell ... awaits you if you continue on this road."

Some anti-mafia prosecutors have worried that mobsters may target Pope Francis, who is reforming the Vatican, including its scandal-scarred bank, the Institute for Religious Works.

"The strong will of Pope Francis, aiming to disrupt the gangrene power centers, puts him at risk. He disturbs the Mafia very much," Nicola Gratteri, an anti-mob prosecutor in Calabria, told CNN in November.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

The pope better add more armor to his popemobile.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Viking suddenly becomes in favor of organized crime.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on June 21, 2014, 03:49:15 PM
Viking suddenly becomes in favor of organized crime.

I'm against the 'Ndragheta using religious cover for their organized racketeering, just like I'm against  the catholic church using religious cover for their organized child abuse.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

This makes me think of Godfather Part III.  Damn you Pope Francis!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Mobsters or not, you don't fuck with the Society of Jesus.  The Sword was hardcore long before the mob was.  SHOULDA KILLED US IN 1594 BIYOTCHES

The Brain

Will they enforce this excommunication of Mafia members? Is it only made men or is it also their henchmen etc? Sounds like the group could be somewhat nebulous. Does the Pope expect local priests to be strict in this matter?

If the Pope talks the talk he better walk the walk. Or come across as a buffoon.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

And if they do enforce it, will it be on only convicted members, or alleged ones as well?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Josephus on June 21, 2014, 03:04:40 PM
The pope better add more armor to his popemobile.

The one he's all but retired because he believes it's a symbol of papal excess? :face:
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 21, 2014, 07:11:59 PM
And if they do enforce it, will it be on only convicted members, or alleged ones as well?

Holy Mother Church has always been deliberate and fair when it comes to passing judgement on such matters.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Assasinating the pope. Yes. That would really get them de-excommunicated.

It will be interesting to see how this will be followed in southern Italy. My guess: not at all.
██████
██████
██████