Elon Musk: I'll put HUMANS on MARS by 2026

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2014, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I don't remember if I've actually been to Mars.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2014, 11:49:11 AM
Malthus appears to lack an imagination. <_<

Garbon appears to lack an argument.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Cave-Malthus didn't want to leave cave. Cave was fine.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2014, 11:51:25 AM
Cave-Malthus didn't want to leave cave. Cave was fine.

Cave bear was friendly. Too friendly. Let Brain have cave.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on June 20, 2014, 11:50:17 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2014, 11:49:11 AM
Malthus appears to lack an imagination. <_<

Garbon appears to lack an argument.  :hmm:

"Likely never will be" sounds like quite a stretch.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 20, 2014, 10:50:14 AM
Mostly, the longing for space colonies of actual humans is a longing for science fiction fantasies to be realized.

What's your point Malthus?  Is there a reason for sending robots or anything into Space besides this?  Our robots looking at soil samples is going to do what for us down here all Terra-bound exactly?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

Let's just wait until the first Tesla Moonraker catches fire halfway between here and Mars because of a "bad battery pack" before we say Elon Musk is wrong, shall we.

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 19, 2014, 11:52:59 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2014, 11:33:52 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 19, 2014, 03:24:56 PM
In reality, the best possible scenario would be to plant tiny colonies of humans off-planet somewhere. Such colonies would serve no economic function for Earthlings, as there is nothing in the universe that is valuable enough to justify spending the energy necessary to retrieve it to Earth.
New France was a drag to France's finances.  Lots of territory to defend and no valuable resources, except fur, wich wasn't that much in demand anymore in Europe.  Yet, somehow, we formed a couple of provinces&states out of this piece of land wich happen to be productive today, compared to some of the old, safe world.

Wind to power the sails to travel between the two was free.
The boat wasn't free.  The crew wasn't free.  The canons and the munitions weren't free.  The infrastructures in New France weren't free.
We gave back cod and furs, but not enough to justify the costs.  Same goes for the US, it costed way more for UK to defend the territory than what it was getting back.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2014, 12:02:23 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 20, 2014, 10:50:14 AM
Mostly, the longing for space colonies of actual humans is a longing for science fiction fantasies to be realized.

What's your point Malthus?  Is there a reason for sending robots or anything into Space besides this?  Our robots looking at soil samples is going to do what for us down here all Terra-bound exactly?

Scientific discovery is its own point.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2014, 12:52:41 PM
The boat wasn't free.  The crew wasn't free.  The canons and the munitions weren't free.  The infrastructures in New France weren't free.
We gave back cod and furs, but not enough to justify the costs.  Same goes for the US, it costed way more for UK to defend the territory than what it was getting back.

None of those costs are the one that would make interstellar trade prohibitively expensive.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?