Elon Musk: I'll put HUMANS on MARS by 2026

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2014, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 18, 2014, 11:50:48 AM
He pretends that yes. I don't believe him. Just like I don't believe Garbon.

What is there to believe? I am registered as a Republican. There a little (R) near my name on voter rolls.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 18, 2014, 03:24:46 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 18, 2014, 01:13:52 PM
The problem with manned space exploration is that, national pride aside, there is essentially no incentive to do it.

national pride and to if it can be done is sufficient reason enough. Pushing outwards is wat this species does.

It was sufficient reason during the Cold War, to reach the moon. I am not convinced it is sufficient reason to keep doing it to put humans on other barren planets. "First to put a man on Pluto!" is not likely to be terribly motivating.

Our species certainly explores, but there is no need to send actual people to do the exploring - and less and less need, as our machines get better and better (and smaller and smaller). Simply put, there is nothing worth humans personally reaching in our solar system. It would certainly be cool, assuming one could stand the boredom of the journey, which is why this option seems to be the perview of, basically, vastly wealthy tourists.

Now, maybe people could be convinced to fund colonization of other systems at some point in the future - but again, there is simply no way for this to benefit any of the people expected to pay for it. People are not much for completely unrewarded acts.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

During the Cold War national pride had positive externalities.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2014, 11:48:31 AM
I thought Tim was a Republican :hmm:

I mean not that it matters now that he has betrayed America for Korea.
I was but I have shifted allegience in the last four years to conservative Democrat.

I have not. :rolleyes:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

To be fair, we all thought both SpaceX and Tesla sounded wacky when he first unveiled them.  There's a chance Musk's full of it, but on the other hand, if there's anybody who actually stands a shot of being able to make this claim and have it pan out, it's Elon Musk.
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 18, 2014, 09:47:28 PM
To be fair, we all thought both SpaceX and Tesla sounded wacky when he first unveiled them.

I don't recall having any thoughts. :scots:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 18, 2014, 09:47:28 PM
To be fair, we all thought both SpaceX and Tesla sounded wacky when he first unveiled them.  There's a chance Musk's full of it, but on the other hand, if there's anybody who actually stands a shot of being able to make this claim and have it pan out, it's Elon Musk.

Isn't he the guy who wants to build a giant vacuum tube between LA and San Francisco?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 18, 2014, 10:28:52 PM
Isn't he the guy who wants to build a giant vacuum tube between LA and San Francisco?

I'm not saying he hits grand slams every time; I'm just saying his batting average is better than normal.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on June 18, 2014, 03:29:07 PM

What is there to believe? I am registered as a Republican. There a little (R) near my name on voter rolls.

You also pretended to be Indian. Somethings just don't make any sense.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 19, 2014, 08:57:48 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 18, 2014, 03:29:07 PM

You also pretended to be Indian. Somethings just don't make any sense.

The whole time I said I was Indian, I was also pointing out that I wasn't. Joke vs. not a joke.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on June 18, 2014, 01:13:52 PM
The problem with manned space exploration is that, national pride aside, there is essentially no incentive to do it.
I'm pretty sure lots of people in European courts were arguing that in the 16th century.  Heck, even by the 18th century, it was still argued at Versailles.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on June 18, 2014, 03:40:50 PM
It was sufficient reason during the Cold War, to reach the moon. I am not convinced it is sufficient reason to keep doing it to put humans on other barren planets. "First to put a man on Pluto!" is not likely to be terribly motivating.
Well, we could put a prison there, with no guardians, sort of like Hell.  A special level of Hell, a level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.
Good luck escaping by helo!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.