Epic road trip fare - What do you put in the cooler?

Started by merithyn, June 12, 2014, 04:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Hate to say it, but I'm in the "stop & pick something up somewhere" camp, though that sometimes backfires.  I tend to want to drive as long as I can without making a stop.  Then when I finally break down & decide to stop somewhere, the options are often crappy.

Cold sandwiches don't do much for me on a road trip (unless it's a freshly made sub).  I can eat one at work or home, no problem.  But in the car it just bothers me for some reason.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Shit, I wish my parents were.  We didnt stop for shit.  Mom, RN even kept one of those urine jugs under the seat, just in case.

Christ,
Even Richard Petty made a pit stop now and then.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 13, 2014, 11:41:31 AM
Shit, I wish my parents were.  We didnt stop for shit.  Mom, RN even kept one of those urine jugs under the seat, just in case.

Christ,

My dad didn't stop for anything.  And I also had my own "weewee jug" in the family truckster LTD station wagon.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

When we get self drive cars the contents of the cooler will change considerably  :)

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on June 13, 2014, 01:14:02 PM

Christ,

My dad didn't stop for anything.  And I also had my own "weewee jug" in the family truckster LTD station wagon.

Gods, I hope you guys did not also bring apple juice to drink. That could lead to unfortunate mix-ups.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on June 13, 2014, 01:47:49 PM

Christ,

Gods, I hope you guys did not also bring apple juice to drink. That could lead to unfortunate mix-ups.  :lol:

Dad would usually pull over shortly after it was filled to let mom dump it out.  Yeah, mom had to hold the weewee jug in the meantime.  They wisely didn't leave it in the hands of a 6-year old.

The Brain

Quote from: derspiess on June 13, 2014, 01:59:26 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 13, 2014, 01:47:49 PM

Christ,

Dad would usually pull over shortly after it was filled to let mom dump it out.

Why the multi-stage rocket?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Meri: bacon jerky. :cool:

That reminds me, I have a package of kangaroo jerky I need to bust open and eat.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on June 13, 2014, 02:12:42 PM
That reminds me, I have a package of kangaroo jerky I need to bust open and eat.

Kangaroo? What kind of gas station chain is that? Australian?

Caliga

:sleep:

There is actually a gas station chain called Kangaroo.  I've seen those in Georgia and IIRC Tennessee.

Maximus

Caliga

The prepackaged stuff, yes.  But you can make it yourself with a dehydrator. :)  I don't have a dehydrator but a dude I work with does and has given me some of his to try.  It wasn't sweet.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on June 13, 2014, 02:52:22 PM
The prepackaged stuff, yes.  But you can make it yourself with a dehydrator. :)  I don't have a dehydrator but a dude I work with does and has given me some of his to try.  It wasn't sweet.

Roadkill loses its sweetness after it has been sitting in the sun by the side of the highway for awhile, evidently.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

merithyn

Some pretty good suggestions. :)

I am, unfortunately, off bread for the time being. I'll be making cream cheese, sausage, and cheese rolls. We've also got gourmet cheese, hummus, carrots, celery, apples, cherries, and trail mix (which I can only have 1/4 cup at a time :mad:). We also got pistachios, almonds, and power bars for snacks. Cooler is big enough for a couple of 2-liters of soda, so Diet Pepsi was procured.

BarristerBoy, do you guys have Red Dragon Inn? If not, we'll bring it, but it's not exactly a game we can play with Max's family. :ph34r: Otherwise, we'll be happy to play whatever you have on hand. (Settlers of Catan is my personal favorite. :) )
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...