Epic road trip fare - What do you put in the cooler?

Started by merithyn, June 12, 2014, 04:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

I may have mentioned that Max and I are going on a road trip soon. *coughs* Anyway, we're planning to pack a cooler with stuff for lunches and snacks so we're not eating at restaurants the whole trip, and to save a bit of money. The question is: What to bring?

So far we have dried fruits, gourmet sausage, lunch meat, cheese, and bagels. Since I get pretty tired of stuff pretty easily, I was hoping for some ideas of some more interesting things to take along.

What do/would you bring on an epic road trip?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Surströmming, if you expect to pass through rough neighborhoods.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: The Brain on June 12, 2014, 04:19:46 PM
Surströmming, if you expect to pass through rough neighborhoods.

:yuk:

You sick bastard! There is no neighborhood that rough! :mad:

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on June 12, 2014, 04:16:45 PM
I may have mentioned that Max and I are going on a road trip soon. *coughs* Anyway, we're planning to pack a cooler with stuff for lunches and snacks so we're not eating at restaurants the whole trip, and to save a bit of money. The question is: What to bring?

So far we have dried fruits, gourmet sausage, lunch meat, cheese, and bagels. Since I get pretty tired of stuff pretty easily, I was hoping for some ideas of some more interesting things to take along.

We're boring and just do sandwiches.  A loaf of bred, some salami, some cheese, probably some squeezable mustard, and you have a sandwich within minutes.

Since you have a cooler you can buy fresh fruit too.

Don't over-buy - this kind of stuff is easy to pick up while on the road.

Don't forget to pack a board game if you want.  :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2014, 04:25:55 PM
We're boring and just do sandwiches.  A loaf of bred, some salami, some cheese, probably some squeezable mustard, and you have a sandwich within minutes.

It's a pretty small cooler, so that's not a problem. It's the sandwiches that I get bored of. Plus, I'm on a pretty strict low-carb diet at the moment, making it more like ham and cheese rolls than sandwiches. :P

Will do! I may text you to make sure that the game I want to bring isn't one you already have.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr

Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2014, 04:25:55 PM

How long of a road trip are we talking about?  Pre-made sammiches are the way to go.

viper37

This:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretons
for sandwiches.
Also, raspeberry jam with no sugar added (and blueberry jam too).
hot dog sausage, your favorite brand.
If you have a portable bbq, than hot dog stuff.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

A staple when I was growing up: vienna sausage sandwiches, with spicy mustard on the bread. Shockingly tasty.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Monoriu

Any access to boiling water?  If so, instant noodles/rice will be nice.  Good to have some hot food once in a while.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

Summertime road haul?  Smallish cooler? 

There's only one choice:  LITTLE HUGS JUGS!!!

PRC

Trail mix / nuts!  The sandwich stuff is great, salami, bread, etc. can't go wrong there.  Grape tomatoes and olives too.