News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

D&D 5th Edition

Started by Jacob, July 03, 2014, 01:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2014, 02:34:35 PM
That's nice, although that might change as the system matures.  Looking at past editions of D&D/Pathfinder, it was fairly simple when it started, but it got a little mind-boggling as feats and prestige classes piled up.

I think that's been an issue for every RPG ever made.  You come out with a nice tight rule system, but once everyone buys the one copy that's it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Call. Of. Fucking. Cthulhu.

Or maybe I should just stop shitting up D&D threads.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on July 04, 2014, 02:48:57 PM
Yeah for sure. Though in this case, they've explicitly identified avoiding that kind of bloat as something to avoid. It'll be interesting how it plays out, though, as it seems bloat supplements are what have brought in the money traditionally for rpgs in the mid-life and later.
Yeah, that will be interesting.  You make money by releasing sourcebooks to your customers, and sourcebooks need to have a good mix of fluff and crunch.  Unfortunately, crunch means bloat, and without enough crunch, you won't sell as many sourcebooks.  We'll see what happens.
QuoteYeah. I had the grey box but never played it that much... what I remember was pretty evocative. The 3rd edition book was pretty damn solid IMO, while 4th left me pretty uninspired. I believe their stated intention is to get back to the feel of earlier versions.
That 3rd edition book was amazing, and it really helped revitalize a product line that had lost a lot of direction in the last couple years before 3rd edition came out.  I felt like the 3rd edition Realms were struck down right as it was becoming mature, and a lot of the themes and characters that they were introducing were eliminated by the edition change.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on July 04, 2014, 02:54:27 PM
That's nice, although that might change as the system matures.  Looking at past editions of D&D/Pathfinder, it was fairly simple when it started, but it got a little mind-boggling as feats and prestige classes piled up.
I think that's been an issue for every RPG ever made.  You come out with a nice tight rule system, but once everyone buys the one copy that's it.
You know which game was absolutely hilarious for the amount of bloat and sourcebook creep?  Anything from Palladium Games.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2014, 03:24:18 PM
You know which game was absolutely hilarious for the amount of bloat and sourcebook creep?  Anything from Palladium Games.

Descriptions of every hamlet and fort in the world was necessary.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on July 04, 2014, 03:08:27 PM

It's alright. CoC is great... though these days there are like a million CoC rpgs on the market.

katmai

If only we could get you to stop shitting up all the threads....
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Do magic the right way, people: earn it.  Ars Magica 5th FTW.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on July 04, 2014, 04:10:45 PM

If only we could get you to stop shitting up all the threads....

He can't.  He has an Imperial Warrant from the Emperor.

Razgovory

Oh, yeah I remember those.  It was like "Lets throw in every cool thing I saw in a comic book/movie.  The power disparity was enormous.  We played once where one of the characters was a space marine in flying armor and the other two guys were a crazy person with electrodes stuck in his head and librarian.  We fought a giant robot.  Flying space marine came out okay, but crazy guy and rogue bookworm were vaporized.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DontSayBanana

The Robotech RPG was alright, though- hell, it cleaned up the canon enough to make the series make sense.
Experience bij!

Neil

That was the first Palladium game I ever played.  While I enjoyed playing Robotech, it didn't really capture the 'feel' for me.

celedhring

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2014, 05:18:35 PM
Do magic the right way, people: earn it.  Ars Magica 5th FTW.

Hands down my favorite RPG system and setting. Sadly my friends think otherwise and I have never been able to get a lengthy campaign going. They prefer high fantasy.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 03, 2014, 01:23:45 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 03, 2014, 01:19:03 PM
I wonder why they are giving it away.  Isnt this the core of what they sell?

No, not the rules.

Monsters, players, DM handbooks are the core.

You are right.  I skimmed the link over the weekend.  Not much to it - which I suppose is the back to basics they were looking for after 4.0.