News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Two Shootings in Vancouver in 24 hours

Started by Jacob, June 10, 2014, 02:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 10, 2014, 04:32:45 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 10, 2014, 04:03:04 PM
Some friends who frequent the area say the owner was a jerk.

OMG BLAMING THE VICTIM

Yeah, totally. The comments were stuff like "he was always rude to me" and "his dog bit [name redacted] and he didn't even apologize! Fuck that guy!"

I feel like my friends are lacking a bit in perspective on this, to be honest.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on June 10, 2014, 03:33:58 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 10, 2014, 02:38:05 PM
In our case the solution to reducing gangland shootings is pretty striaght forward.  Remove the market they are fighting over by legalizing drugs.

This eminently reasonable.  In the US we made alcohol illegal by constitutional amendment.  When the amendment was rescinded organized crime disappeared within five years.

There were still plenty of illegal things to sell for high profit margins.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 10, 2014, 06:10:27 PM
In our case the solution to reducing gangland shootings is pretty striaght forward.  Remove the market they are fighting over by legalizing drugs.

This eminently reasonable.  In the US we made alcohol illegal by constitutional amendment.  When the amendment was rescinded organized crime disappeared within five years.

Sure but once prostitution, drugs, booze and gambling are legalized its hard to imagine what that might be.  Although there was that theft of maple syrup a while back...

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 10, 2014, 06:27:45 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 10, 2014, 06:10:27 PM

Sure but once prostitution, drugs, booze and gambling are legalized its hard to imagine what that might be.  Although there was that theft of maple syrup a while back...

Not "things" to be sold, exactly, but that still leaves loansharking, smuggling, contract killings, and fencing stolen goods.  There'd still be plenty of organized crime. 

And that's without getting into the black markets that exist for things that are legal but heavily taxed.

Razgovory

Organized crime is not simply a wholesaler of illicit goods.  Making a good or service legal isn't going to make them go away.  If all drugs were made legal in Canada the gangsters aren't going to just shrug their shoulders and take a jobs working as grocery clerks.  They'll move on to other schemes.  For instance Americans mobsters ran a very successful operation selling gasoline and pocketing the taxes on it.  Gasoline isn't illegal, but they were still dealing in it and they were not shy about killing people over it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Organized crime is moving more and more into prescription drugs and medical fraud in the US.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 10, 2014, 03:28:54 PM
sure
and where do we stop?  no such things as illegal drugs anymore, people are free to use whatever they want?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on June 10, 2014, 06:46:00 PM
Organized crime is not simply a wholesaler of illicit goods.  Making a good or service legal isn't going to make them go away.  If all drugs were made legal in Canada the gangsters aren't going to just shrug their shoulders and take a jobs working as grocery clerks.  They'll move on to other schemes.  For instance Americans mobsters ran a very successful operation selling gasoline and pocketing the taxes on it.  Gasoline isn't illegal, but they were still dealing in it and they were not shy about killing people over it.

Organized crime has been very active in alcohol & tobacco smuggling, two things legal, two things heavily taxed for reasons of 'morality'.

Street gangs are also very active in underage prostitution.  Should we legalize that too?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on June 10, 2014, 08:11:07 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 10, 2014, 03:28:54 PM
sure
and where do we stop?  no such things as illegal drugs anymore, people are free to use whatever they want?

You do what the Russians do.  You make the gangsters the government.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017