Another US school shooter - Portland, this time

Started by merithyn, June 10, 2014, 11:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

What's so bad about an Orwellian police state, anyway?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 11, 2014, 02:28:57 PM
Yeah.  Do you really think criminals are likely to enter a house in the same way the police do it?  I suppose if that is true in your part of the world it explains your attitude on this subject.

Not a house, but yeah.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on June 11, 2014, 03:11:38 PM
What's so bad about an Orwellian police state, anyway?

I'm watching you eat your pop tarts.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on June 11, 2014, 02:55:22 PM
Clearly, a shootout would be preferable to demanding an apology.  :)

QuoteBut he claimed when the mistake was realized, he was the one apologizing while the deputy said something that gave him chills.

"'You're lucky I didn't [expletive] shoot you,'" Conner said.

Context, people, context.

"No really...you're lucky I didn't fucking shoot you.  I mean, what with the dark and all.  That would've been awful! Whew!"

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2014, 03:01:22 PM
I doubt that.  I believe Suicide rates were higher in the early 1990's then they are now, long before Facebook.  Most of these are young men without criminal records and often aren't even out of school.  I think dissatisfaction of their social life is a far bigger factor.  However the difference is that instead of just quietly killing themselves they decided to take out the people they blame for their predicament with them.

Slightly higher, but the rate has been relatively flat since 1960.  There has been an uptick in the past few years that is barely noticeable on the chart, since the chart stops at 2011.

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 11, 2014, 02:33:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 11, 2014, 02:07:57 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 11, 2014, 01:59:56 PM
If I had armed people in my house there would be LOTS of screaming. I mean hell that happens when a houseguest overstays their welcome.

Oh that never happens to me. I always make it clear from before their arrival regarding the date that I will throw their ass out.
I just start making less and less welcoming food.

'It's Thursday. I eat lentils. Deal.' <_<

The American approach; the British approach. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

British approach wouldn't work on me.  "Ooh free eats!".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Then I'd probably just change the locks, close the curtains and pretend I'm not in for a few days/weeks.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2014, 03:24:54 PM
British approach wouldn't work on me.  "Ooh free eats!".

Actually my youngest sister would probably continue to stay as well. I was very concerned when I learned that sometimes she just ate lentils as a meal...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on June 11, 2014, 03:14:30 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 11, 2014, 02:28:57 PM
Yeah.  Do you really think criminals are likely to enter a house in the same way the police do it?  I suppose if that is true in your part of the world it explains your attitude on this subject.

Not a house, but yeah.

Great, so now Americans like Spicey are going to shoot people that look like police officers on the off chance they are not actually whom they claim to be.

mongers

I'd like to hear Eric Clapton's opinion on this matter.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

I thought Clapton's issue was people leaving the home, not people forcing their way into it.

sbr

I'd like to hear Ted Nugent's opinion on this matter.