Another US school shooter - Portland, this time

Started by merithyn, June 10, 2014, 11:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2014, 02:30:02 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2014, 02:27:11 PM
Just because the best predictor is moot doesn't render the other predictors useless.

It's a cost benefit: we can prevent X school shootings a year if we deny people with traits A, B, & C guns and we'll get Z% false positives.

As I mentioned, we already use diagnosed mental illness and certainly 100% of people with mental illness have not committed gun violence in the past.  So presumably we're already willing to accept some level of false positives.

I like the way you are thinking Yi, but wasn't this sort of what Obama wanted?  More background checks?  I have already said I hope we are starting to closely monitor the guys who fit the profile.  Socially isolated angry mentally unstable white dude.

Ruh-roh.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2014, 02:42:10 PM
I like the way you are thinking Yi, but wasn't this sort of what Obama wanted?  More background checks?  I have already said I hope we are starting to closely monitor the guys who fit the profile.  Socially isolated angry mentally unstable white dude.

Not really.  My understanding is he wanted to close the gun show loophole.  I'm talking more about reexamining the criteria that go into the national no-gun database.

Well if the tools are already there I hope they are being used.  But couldn't said socially isolated angry mentally unstable white dude just get his gun at a gun show if that is a loophole?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: PRC on June 10, 2014, 02:34:30 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 10, 2014, 02:28:06 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 10, 2014, 01:59:35 PM
You take the guns away. Using Force.

MOLON LABIA

You'd get in a shootout with the Feds if they did come to take them?  I'd figure you'd either just give them up or try and hide them.

I'd get in a shootout if Grey Fox came & tried to take them.

Also I just wanted to post that play on words :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2014, 02:49:56 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2014, 02:42:10 PM

Not really.  My understanding is he wanted to close the gun show loophole.  I'm talking more about reexamining the criteria that go into the national no-gun database.

Well if the tools are already there I hope they are being used.  But couldn't said socially isolated angry mentally unstable white dude just get his gun at a gun show if that is a loophole?

Is there a "national no-gun databse"?

In what way is that different from a gun licence?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on June 10, 2014, 03:06:50 PM

I don't understand the question.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2014, 01:59:13 PM
Quote from: Jaron on June 10, 2014, 01:54:45 PM
The problem with guns is that in America the cat is already out of the bag. How do you stuff it back in?

i think some form of mental health assessment/risk modeling is the only feasible solution.
But how could you do that?  IIRC, you can't force people to see a shrink, you can't force them to seek out medical evaluation&treatment.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2014, 03:14:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 10, 2014, 03:06:50 PM

I don't understand the question.

In both ways the government gets to decide who does and does not get a gun.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: viper37 on June 10, 2014, 03:16:47 PM
The problem with guns is that in America the cat is already out of the bag. How do you stuff it back in?

i think some form of mental health assessment/risk modeling is the only feasible solution.
But how could you do that?  IIRC, you can't force people to see a shrink, you can't force them to seek out medical evaluation&treatment.

Just assume everyone who wants to keep guns is mentally unbalanced, then it's up to them to show they're of sound mind and adult enough to have them.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on June 10, 2014, 03:20:43 PM
In both ways the government gets to decide who does and does not get a gun.

We already do that.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on June 10, 2014, 03:16:47 PM

People found not guilty by reason of insanity or mental defect are not allowed to have fire arms in some states.  Of course that's extremely rare and those people tend to be spending their entire lives in hospitals.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

That last big gun bill in Florida they made it possible for people convicted of gun felonies to carry concealed weapons so I am not really sure what legal avenues they can go through even with past convicts.