Another US school shooter - Portland, this time

Started by merithyn, June 10, 2014, 11:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

There is one thing society and the media could do straight away to dramatically improve the situation: never make the identity of the shooters public

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on June 10, 2014, 01:03:56 PM
There is one thing society and the media could do straight away to dramatically improve the situation: never make the identity of the shooters public
Yep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4&feature=kp
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

I disagree: what they need to do is put the crime scene photos on the front page and on television.  Outside of what First Reponders see, the concept of "20 dead children" is just that: a concept. People need to see what a .223 Remington round will do to a 6 year old's skull.  Then maybe with some context, people will see that mass shooting victims are more than just a line of text.

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 10, 2014, 01:09:17 PM
Yep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4&feature=kp

Known to the ancients: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herostratus

Attempts to avoid media coverage didn't work then, either.

QuoteFar from attempting to evade responsibility for his act of arson, Herostratus proudly claimed credit in an attempt to immortalise his name. To dissuade those of a similar mind, the Ephesian authorities not only executed him, but attempted to condemn him to a legacy of obscurity by forbidding mention of his name under penalty of death. However, this did not stop Herostratus from achieving his goal because the ancient historian Theopompus recorded the event and its perpetrator in his Hellenics.

Herostratus' name lived on in classical literature and has passed into modern languages as a term for someone who commits a criminal act in order to bask in the resultant notoriety.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 10, 2014, 01:15:36 PM

I disagree: what they need to do is put the crime scene photos on the front page and on television.  Outside of what First Reponders see, the concept of "20 dead children" is just that: a concept. People need to see what a .223 Remington round will do to a 6 year old's skull.  Then maybe with some context, people will see that mass shooting victims are more than just a line of text.

People will just look away.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Can we have all of these school shooting threads consolidated into one, as they clutter up the forum.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 10, 2014, 01:15:36 PM

Identity of the shooter.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 10, 2014, 12:55:59 PM
The Daily Show did a segment a couple of days ago on how often these tragic events occur and how predictable the media coverage has become.   It was dark humour at its best. 

Ironically (given sbr's post) they were particularly picking up on the "there is nothing that can be done" meme.

Want to know what you can do?  Maybe look at the gun laws every other civilized society has.

If you want to see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvA4jH8MoxM
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

I think that's what happens with most things you post. :P

Jaron

The problem with guns is that in America the cat is already out of the bag. How do you stuff it back in?

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jaron on June 10, 2014, 01:54:45 PM
The problem with guns is that in America the cat is already out of the bag. How do you stuff it back in?

i think some form of mental health assessment/risk modeling is the only feasible solution.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Jaron on June 10, 2014, 01:54:45 PM

One step at a time.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.