The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Some background on who the Turkmen are :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34910389

So the Eastern group are in league with the Kurds........interesting.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on November 24, 2015, 10:47:44 AM
Erdogan is the kind of leader Turkey needs right now.  :)

They were dangerously close to peace, prosperity, and international respect. He has pulled them back from the brink with gusto.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on November 24, 2015, 10:53:53 AM

They were dangerously close to peace, prosperity, and international respect. He has pulled them back from the brink with gusto.

:lol:

:hmm:

:weep:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Hamilcar

Putin calls out Turkey:

Quote"IS has big money, hundreds of millions or even billions of dollars, from selling oil. In addition they are protected by the military of an entire nation. One can understand why they are acting so boldly and blatantly. Why they kill people in such atrocious ways. Why they commit terrorist acts across the world, including in the heart of Europe."

Richard Hakluyt

Looking at the map it appears that the Russian jet was in Turkish airspace for about 2km of travel............a few seconds.

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 24, 2015, 12:17:13 PM
Looking at the map it appears that the Russian jet was in Turkish airspace for about 2km of travel............a few seconds.

The Americans confirm this, and also the Turkish warnings to the Russian plane. This few seconds thing is a bit of an out, I guess? Russia can say it was harmless, even if true, Turkey can say they defended their border and they both return to their business of killing ISIS and moderate rebels and killing Kurds, respectively. And Russians will think twice before attacking Turkish friends near the border.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: Syt on November 24, 2015, 12:42:08 PM
And Russians will think twice before attacking Turkish friends near the border.

Hardly if it was those friends who shot down the parachuting pilots.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

KRonn

Speaking of the oil revenue, it's a bit inane that the US and its coalition haven't been seriously going after ISIS oil facilities, oil trucks, etc. Just started doing it recently. Meanwhile ISIS has been earning hundreds of millions of dollars over the year. Russia has said they've hit oil trucks but their figures of vehicles destroyed seem way too high, especially given they use a lot of dumb/unguided bombs.

Syt

Quote from: KRonn on November 24, 2015, 02:57:37 PM
Speaking of the oil revenue, it's a bit inane that the US and its coalition haven't been seriously going after ISIS oil facilities, oil trucks, etc. Just started doing it recently. Meanwhile ISIS has been earning hundreds of millions of dollars over the year. Russia has said they've hit oil trucks but their figures of vehicles destroyed seem way too high, especially given they use a lot of dumb/unguided bombs.

Yeah, I take their numbers with several pillars of salt. One missile killed 600 terrorists? Yeah, right.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on November 24, 2015, 10:53:53 AM

The 1990's?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on November 24, 2015, 02:59:05 PM

Yeah, I take their numbers with several pillars of salt. One missile killed 600 terrorists? Yeah, right.

the missile was Putin's penis. It's so glorious a missile that it even flew back to the Kremlin by itself before reattaching itself to Putin again. Along the way it also killed three bears single... handed.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on November 24, 2015, 02:59:05 PM

To be fair the US has announced two recent raids in the last week that destroyed over 100 and then something like 240+ oil trucks, though they first leafleted/warned the civilians drivers to leave their trucks before attacking.

So it's not surprising that the Russians could destroy a lot of truck fairly easy; think dozens and dozens of trucks parked up waiting to be filled with oil from very rough and ready open refineries*.

* not sure you can describe an oil strewn patch of sand surrounding an open fire heating crude oil as a 'refinery'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

My estimate was 10-15 seconds, now NATO is saying the Russian jet was in Turkish airspace for 17 seconds.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on November 24, 2015, 03:56:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2015, 03:09:37 PM
The 1990's?

What about them?

Is that time period you were talking about when you said Turkey is "dangerously close to peace, prosperity, and international respect"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017