The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Current reports says Daesh is suffering significant attrition and weakened morale: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/11/29/islamic-state-defections-kurds-lloyd-austin-syria-isil/76503736/

Whether that trend continues remains to be seen, of course.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

The article did not mention either France or Russia :murica:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

citizen k

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

British 'bombers are now over Syria;

"Futile gestures away"

Watch those empty buildings ISIL targets crumble.

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on December 02, 2015, 08:40:17 PM

"Futile gestures away"

Crack on then. :bowler:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on December 02, 2015, 08:43:47 PM

"Futile gestures away"

'We' need boots on the ground, probably just was ISIL want, but it's the best way to possibly defeat them. And unfortunately those have to include substantial numbers of western soldiers.

In contrast our defence secretary is living in a fantasy world, he's just said a free Syria will turn around and defeat the evil empire of Daesh.  :hmm: 

I think by free Syria he means the place with permanent blue skies, fluffy cotton wool clouds and big wide smiley eight petal flowers, as often draw by small children.

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on December 02, 2015, 08:49:58 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 02, 2015, 08:43:47 PM

"Futile gestures away"

'We' need boots on the ground, probably just was ISIL want, but it's the best way to possibly defeat them. And unfortunately those have to include substantial numbers of western soldiers.

In contrast our defence secretary is living in a fantasy world, he's just said a free Syria will turn around and defeat the evil empire of Daesh.  :hmm: 

I think by free Syria he means the place with permanent blue skies, fluffy cotton wool clouds and big wide smiley eight petal flowers, as often draw by small children.

I think the only Muslim force with any potential are the Peshmerga
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Disagree about Western troops.  Kurds are retaking territory in the north, no conquests by ISIS recently, stories of disaffected recruits.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 02, 2015, 09:07:10 PM

Disagree about Western troops.  Kurds are retaking territory in the north, no conquests by ISIS recently, stories of disaffected recruits.

The Syrian Kurds can't cross the Euphrates without triggering Turkish intervention. That means they can't seal the Syria-Turkey border crossings that so many guns and recruits are coming through.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

mongers

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on December 02, 2015, 09:12:34 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 02, 2015, 09:07:10 PM

The Syrian Kurds can't cross the Euphrates without triggering Turkish intervention. That means they can't seal the Syria-Turkey border crossings that so many guns and recruits are coming through.

And how can we expect the Iraqi Kurds to defeat ISIL in Syria, that's many hundreds of miles way from their homeland and leaves that more open to attack from ISIL in Iraq. The Kurds will want the Iraqi 'government' and themselves to clear Mosul before any wild adventures in Syria at the prompting of the 'Coalition of the not especially will to set foot on the ground'.
And Mosul was supposed to be taken this year, but won't even secured in 2016, as Iraqi forces still dance around Ramadii.