The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

If only northern Mexico was all like the village in Three Amigos.  :(

CountDeMoney

Would you say I have a plethora of drug cartels?

Tonitrus does bring up a valid point, re: tribal families as power brokers. 

[dracula]Our vays are not your vays.[/dracula]

Tonitrus

Another reason to like the Kurds.  Mostly pan-Kurdish nationalism mixed with some spunky communist-revolutionarism (they just need to keep that female-equality spirit and ditch the Mao/Che crap).  :)

CountDeMoney

HEY MAO   :mad:

ISIS isn't the only ones using social media for recruits;  the Kurds are using it for western recruits as well, like US and Canadian Iraq War combat vets--

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-this-28-year-old-from-wisconsin-is-fighting-isis-in-iraq-2015-2

Tonitrus

If I were to get out of the military...and actually had military skills they could use (I doubt knowledge of a non-relevant language, powerpoint, and Outlook are helpful against ISIS)...I'd strongly consider going to fight for them.

But then I think I'd choose going to fight for Ukraine instead.  Better chance of friendly support from local Ukrainian maidens.  :)

*Kurdish babes can be pretty hott...but despite their relatively higher social progression for the region, I bet their actual families retain a lot of the hangups about male/female interaction. 

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on February 05, 2015, 03:52:46 PM
Or to use an actual real-life example, my wife is an Argentine citizen and a US citizen.  But since the point she became a US citizen the US government does not recognize her Argentine citizenship.  They didn't confiscate her Argie passport and force her at gunpoint to renounce her Argie citizenship.

That is correct.  To become a US citizen, your wife had to renounce her Argentine citizenship (not at gunpoint, but in taking the oath that made her a citizen), and so the US doesn't recognize her as a dual citizen (though the law recognizes that Argentina may still consider her a citizen).   Her Argentine passport is a moot point in US law.

The US recognizes dual citizenship based on birth.  It also recognizes that US citizens can become citizens of another nation by marriage or residency.  Consular rules are written such that they distinguish between sole US citizens and US citizens that also have nationality in the place where the consulate is located; in general, the latter are afforded far less consular service than the former.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

At times Arab customs can be quite interesting, like the King and the pilot's father holding hand as they prayed and talked; it's a rather base human response to grief.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on February 05, 2015, 11:10:25 AM
Well, he is only 20 but he is manning up quite nicely:
....He just looks like a geeky kid.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2015, 06:10:09 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 06, 2015, 06:04:11 AM
That would be like offering parts of Ukraine to Poland or Northern Mexico to the US - why the hell would we want poor, unruly territories for a bigger headache? It's a very 19th century style thinking that I don't think works any more.

:hmm:

Much of the part of northern Mexico we already took isn't any better than the part that's left. Now, whether it's worth it to take more probably depends on how much oil they have left.
Lower crime, higher GDP per capita and better infrastructure. On what basis could you argue the Mexican cession isn't better off than the crime ridden blood bath that is northern Mexico today?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 06, 2015, 08:14:13 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 05, 2015, 11:10:25 AM
Well, he is only 20 but he is manning up quite nicely:
....He just looks like a geeky kid.

Just like his dad. Who wanted to be on Star Trek, and got a cameo.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Yeah I am not watching shit from one of those d-bag cable news networks.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."