The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on October 07, 2014, 08:16:00 AM
Canada is proudly deploying two of our wheelbarrows beside our allies in this fight.  :)

The Winnipeg Jets will continue their bombing through the off-season.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Viking on October 07, 2014, 06:29:15 AM
isn't that the 152 mm snub nose thing that was basically a horizontal mortar that could be used to fire AT missiles too?

More of an infantry gun, but yeah, it was the system that fired the Shillelagh AT missile.

derspiess

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 07, 2014, 09:50:08 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 07, 2014, 06:29:15 AM
isn't that the 152 mm snub nose thing that was basically a horizontal mortar that could be used to fire AT missiles too?

More of an infantry gun, but yeah, it was the system that fired the Shillelagh AT missile.

I had the privilege of bivouacking a few yards from where those sumbitches were doing all-night gunnery training at Ft. Bragg.  I didn't get much sleep that night but it sounded cool as hell.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 06, 2014, 08:33:51 PM
Are those modified turrets?  Something looks a little off.

After doing some research, I think those might actually be M48A5s.  The Turks have a bunch of those, too.  The A5 variant retrofit the M60's gun onto the M48.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Anyway, here is a longish but interesting article on ISIS and ideology: How Not To Understand ISIS

Malthus

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 07, 2014, 10:00:52 AM
Anyway, here is a longish but interesting article on ISIS and ideology: How Not To Understand ISIS

The article verges into bullshit territory.

QuoteSome analysts allow the possibility that the jihadi convert is mentally unstable, a privilege usually reserved for white non-Muslim mass murderers. But rarely do they consider that sensibilities and motivations other than or in addition to mere commitment to Salafi Islam or a desire to live in a utopic state may guide their decisions.

For example, could it be that a sense of compassion for suffering fellow humans or of altruistic duty—sensibilities that are very much valued and cultivated in American society [9]—has prefigured their receptiveness to a call to arms to aid a people they consider to be oppressed?

Yes, it could be. But the author has presented exactly zero evidence that it is - other than the self-serving account of Michael Muhammad Knight, who claims he "flirted" with jihadism because he was inspired by the GI Joe theme song. One imagines that his experience may not be typical.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2014, 09:47:54 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 07, 2014, 08:16:00 AM
Canada is proudly deploying two of our wheelbarrows beside our allies in this fight.  :)

The Winnipeg Jets will continue their bombing through the off-season.

Nah - they keep their bombs for the regular season. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Speaking of ice sports, a local brewery is having some Kickstarter promotion where if you pledge $100 you get among other things curling lessons from the local curling club.  Didn't realize we had a curling club :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tamas on October 07, 2014, 05:38:44 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29507410

It almost sounds as the article lists these girls inability to live under Sharia law in Europe a western failing.
Let them go, especially if they lose their British passport in the process.

I mean, I moved to England because I wanted to live in a modern democracy. It should be fine for those who want to live in the middle ages to move to IS controlled territory.
I pretty much agree completely with this. It's patronizing to the point of being white knighting on an institutional scale. Giving people the right of self-determination includes giving people the right to waive it. Otherwise, it's a farce.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on October 07, 2014, 10:41:12 AM
Speaking of ice sports, a local brewery is having some Kickstarter promotion where if you pledge $100 you get among other things curling lessons from the local curling club.  Didn't realize we had a curling club :huh:

Do it.  DO IT!  You won't regret it.  :scots:

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2014, 10:42:13 AM
Not another curling hijack. :weep:

Quiet you. <_<

Went out curling last night for the first time this season.  Much fun was had by all. :)

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Face it, some people here just get their rocks off on it.

Malthus

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 07, 2014, 10:55:39 AM

Face it, some people here just get their rocks off on it.

We need to make a clean sweep of such folks.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister