The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Jacob on September 29, 2014, 10:29:08 PM
You personally may not lose your shit, but your nation as a whole can sometimes seem like it does. You know, it does things like invade Iraq and Afghanistan, embrace torture on a systemic level, elect a democratic president etc.

Hey, when we REALLY lose our shit, we elect a Republican president. :contract:
Experience bij!

garbon

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2014, 10:15:41 PM
I don't really lose my shit about it, though another successful terrorist attack would convince me we should glass them all.

You personally may not lose your shit, but your nation as a whole can sometimes seem like it does. You know, it does things like invade Iraq and Afghanistan, embrace torture on a systemic level, elect a democratic president etc.

Most of those are not positives for groups like ISIS.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 29, 2014, 10:30:33 PM

Hey, when we REALLY lose our shit, we elect a Republican president. :contract:

Polemical fearmongering as a campaign theme totally worked in 2004. 
Democratic National Convention?  Raise the Homeland Security threat level.  Democratic nominee names a running mate?  Raise the Homeland Security threat level.  THESE ARE CREDIBLE NON-SPECIFIC THREATS

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2014, 10:34:28 PM
Most of those are not positives for groups like ISIS.

Didn't say they were. They can, however, be construed as you collectively losing your shit no matter how phlegmatic individual Americans such as yourself may be.

grumbler

I don't really lose my shit about it, though another successful terrorist attack would convince me we should glass them all.

That's not just true of the US, of course.  Terrorists attack the US, and Canadians also lose their shit, invade Iraq and Afghanistan, bitch about timber import restrictions, vote PQ, etc.

We could make the list for the UK, France, etc losing their shit, as well, but I don't think we need to.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

That is rather weak Jake.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on September 30, 2014, 06:14:27 AM
That's not just true of the US, of course.  Terrorists attack the US, and Canadians also lose their shit, invade Iraq and Afghanistan, bitch about timber import restrictions, vote PQ, etc.

We could make the list for the UK, France, etc losing their shit, as well, but I don't think we need to.

Definitely, yeah. I wasn't meaning to imply that it was a uniquely American trait by any means.

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on September 30, 2014, 09:10:46 AM

That is rather weak Jake.

I agree :(

mongers

Something to give Ed, CdM and 114BV war boners ?

Turkish tanks have meanwhile taken up positions along the Syrian border:

M60A1/M60A3 FTW.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Wooties, would love to see some Pattons get some trigger time.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Viking on September 29, 2014, 08:51:08 PM
By being more and more violent they are doing the equivalent of the tea party primary'ing a candidate from the right.

Man, you must *really* hate Islamic militants to pull that one out.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

We're at war with ISIS/ISIL/IS/Whatever the French call them. :w00t: Which is good, it felt terrible having a year without being at war somewhere in the Middle East. We truly are indebted to Fogh for starting this wonderful tradition.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2014/09/26/Denmark-to-send-seven-F-16s-to-fight-is-group-in-Iraq-PM-.html (It did indeed pass with a big majority)
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Just watching a AJ report with the Kurds fighting on the frontline toward Mosul, when they cut to shots of their artillery support on top of the mountain, a British 25-pounder.  :huh:   :bowler:

A fine weapon in its day, but maybe we need to be getting them more modern and more numerous weapons, like the ones the Americans 'gave' to ISIL via the Iraqi 'army'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"