The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on August 20, 2014, 10:51:49 AM
New Testament supercedes old testament, of course.

No it doesn't, at least not in the Catholic and the Orthodox tradition. It merely supplements it.

Anyway, the point is that there *is* a line in the Bible that commands killing of unbelievers. And it comes from the same set of books many Christians use to condemn homosexuality, for example, so you can't also claim this part of the Bible is uniformly ignored by Christians. Which also happens to be the set of books dominationists believe should be the basis of law.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on August 20, 2014, 11:56:31 AM
Anyway, the point is that there *is* a line in the Bible that commands killing of unbelievers. And it comes from the same set of books many Christians use to condemn homosexuality, for example, so you can't also claim this part of the Bible is uniformly ignored by Christians.

Agreed though homosexuality is also decried in many parts of the NT.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2014, 12:02:55 PM
Anyway, the point is that there *is* a line in the Bible that commands killing of unbelievers. And it comes from the same set of books many Christians use to condemn homosexuality, for example, so you can't also claim this part of the Bible is uniformly ignored by Christians.

Not many. Just in one spot in the letters of St. Paul which are secondary and there is also a big debate over the translation (many believe the passage refers to male prostitutes). None of the gospels mentions homosexuality in any way.

CountDeMoney

But not the NYT.  What with that Style section and all.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on August 20, 2014, 12:07:24 PM
Not many. Just in one spot in the letters of St. Paul which are secondary and there is also a big debate over the translation (many believe the passage refers to male prostitutes). None of the gospels mentions homosexuality in any way.

Oh yeah there is isn't there?  I remember that.  The Greek word doesn't literally mean homosexuals, it is an euphemism which creates uncertainty.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Warspite

The Bible is an excellent example of what happens when you base policy on documents drafted by multiple stakeholders with sequential rounds of modification with no overall guidance, and don't even have a readable executive summary.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on August 20, 2014, 12:07:24 PM

Not quite true. There's a pretty explicit mention in Romans (where you even have lesbians mentioned). I am assuming you a referring to 1 Corinthians? There's also a mention in I believe 1 Timothy.

Sure those aren't the gospels but then the NT is more than just those. Sodom does get a shout-out in the gospels though. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: Warspite on August 20, 2014, 12:19:04 PM
The Bible is an excellent example of what happens when you base policy on documents drafted by multiple stakeholders with sequential rounds of modification with no overall guidance, and don't even have a readable executive summary.

As the best selling book in world history, I guess that it is the model to follow?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Sodom wasn't about gay sex, but about laws of hospitality - even Christian Bible scholars acknowledge that. :P

And besides, gospels include a better basis for a jihad than for condemnation of homosexuality, with all the "I bring you a sword" etc. stuff. :P

Valmy

The secret to the Bible's commercial success was its marketing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on August 20, 2014, 12:24:17 PM
Quote from: Warspite on August 20, 2014, 12:19:04 PM

As the best selling book in world history, I guess that it is the model to follow?

It worked for Game of Thrones, only with less violence and sex. :P

alfred russel

We should write a languish bible. We would have multiple origin stories. An exodus story. Tales of exile and redemption. Sav could write a poetry section like the psalms. Generations could debate what the hell Siege was trying to say.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

garbon

On a different note, I wish instead of just being appalled Obama had been like "ISIS, We are coming for you :menace:"

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on August 20, 2014, 12:30:32 PM
We should write a languish bible. We would have multiple origin stories. An exodus story. Tales of exile and redemption. Sav could write a poetry section like the psalms. Generations could debate what the hell Siege was trying to say.

The parables involving Nazi raccoons would be particularly significant.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on August 20, 2014, 12:34:52 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 20, 2014, 12:30:32 PM

The parables involving Nazi raccoons would be particularly significant.

Especially with the follow on commentary by the Brain. I'm not sure whether he should be prevented from updating the noah's arc story, or required to.

"And the arc was set adrift for 40 days and 40 nights. It was a long 40 days and 40 nights, with little to occupy Noah's time. He had the needs of a man, and his wife was not putting out. It was not long before he noticed a particularly muscular baboon, gazing at him from across the deck..."