The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: mongers on August 09, 2014, 04:11:25 PM
More bombing please.

Patience.

ISIS does seem to like to go back to where its shit gets bombed. Which then gets bombed.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

jimmy olsen

Brigade 93 has fallen. That leaves Assad with just one military airbase in Eastern Syrian and nothing else.

http://news.yahoo.com/jihadists-capture-key-syrian-army-082942692.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: Siege on August 09, 2014, 09:07:20 PM
I aint goona post in this fuckin thread.

you should post in this thread. This is the one place where your paranoid ramblings about muslims are actually factually correct and rational and reasonable moderate positions.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Seems like Syria is innmore danger than Iraq of falling to ISIS. How far will they get before triggering Israeli intervention.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 10, 2014, 10:38:47 AM
Seems like Syria is innmore danger than Iraq of falling to ISIS. How far will they get before triggering Israeli intervention.

Israel is in the bizzarre position of, rather than hoping that both lose, that both don't lose.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 10, 2014, 09:14:43 AM
Brigade 93 has fallen. That leaves Assad with just one military airbase in Eastern Syrian and nothing else.

http://news.yahoo.com/jihadists-capture-key-syrian-army-082942692.html
Possibly. On the other hand the regime are pretty consolidated in the West.
Let's bomb Russia!

Hansmeister

It looks like Maliki just staged a coup in order to prevent being fired as Prime Minister.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Hansmeister on August 10, 2014, 08:26:24 PM
It looks like Maliki just staged a coup in order to prevent being fired as Prime Minister.
Has he used force? Lawsuits, whatever their merits or lack thereof aren't coups.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/iraq-turmoil/iraq-prime-minister-al-maliki-file-complaint-against-president-n177311

This definitely isn't going to help stability though. If anything I expect Malaki to be couped or assassinated eventually.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 10, 2014, 08:59:55 PM
Has he used force? Lawsuits, whatever their merits or lack thereof aren't coups.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/iraq-turmoil/iraq-prime-minister-al-maliki-file-complaint-against-president-n177311

This definitely isn't going to help stability though. If anything I expect Malaki to be couped or assassinated eventually.

Try this one...he is probably talking about the deployment of Maliki-loyal militias around Baghdad.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28735641

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Viking

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 10, 2014, 09:35:04 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 10, 2014, 08:59:55 PM

Try this one...he is probably talking about the deployment of Maliki-loyal militias around Baghdad.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28735641

You can't really call yourself a state if you have militia loyal to party or personal factions.

jimmy olsen

Don't worry,  I'm sure the Sunnis won't take advantage of this. :rolleyes:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

celedhring

Whoever made this map nonsensically redrew borders with sheer abandon, yet still has the West Bank as "status undetermined". Not even nutjobs can figure that one out yet.