The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: Viking on August 09, 2014, 05:43:09 AMI'm not following the argument.

then you have no valid comment on the discussion.

Viking

Quote from: LaCroix on August 09, 2014, 05:44:39 AM
Quote from: Viking on August 09, 2014, 05:43:09 AMI'm not following the argument.

then you have no valid comment on the discussion.

I'm not commenting on the discussion, I'm observing that the inability to prove a negative doesn't concede the argument.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

LaCroix

Quote from: Viking on August 09, 2014, 05:49:05 AMI'm not commenting on the discussion, I'm observing that the inability to prove a negative doesn't concede the argument.

viking, i looked up "prove a negative." raz wasn't being asked to prove a negative. he was being asked to show evidence of a worldwide conspiracy. anything. he failed to do so. this doesn't appear to be "proving a negative" - raz said it was, and you jumped on it because you hadn't read the argument.

QuoteIn some circumstances it can be safely assumed that if a certain event had occurred, evidence of it could be discovered by qualified investigators. In such circumstances it is perfectly reasonable to take the absence of proof of its occurrence as positive proof of its non-occurrence.

good lord.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on August 09, 2014, 05:49:05 AM
I'm not commenting on the discussion, I'm observing that the inability to prove a negative doesn't concede the argument.

Not in all cases, no.  But it does in this.  Being asked to provide evidence, and conceding the inability to do so, is an effective concession of the point.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: LaCroix on August 09, 2014, 05:38:45 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 09, 2014, 05:30:24 AM
You haven't articulated a non-racist argument for siding with Palestine. It's either "Jews are evil" or "while technically the Jews haven't been quite as bad as the Palestinians, the Palestinians are too stupid to know better so it's the Jews' fault anyway".

yes i have. in my very first post i did.

Quotei mean, why do you think so many people dislike israel? they're not all anti-semitic - that's an intellectually bankrupt argument.

i could talk about how it's a never-ending cycle caused by israel's fundamental unwillingness to cast aside it's obsession with remaining a jewish state, but i'm not gonna waste even more time on this discussion. basically, by the mere fact that there are so many people who side against israel, to even think they're all dumb, manipulated, or wrong is simply stupid. i don't even like palestine. i'm a big supporter of israel. but i'm not gonna pretend that everyone else doesn't have legitimately valid reasons for preferring palestine. i've read the arguments, as i'm sure most people here have. some disagree with the oro-palestinian arguments, yes, but that doesn't make them any less valid. same with pro-israel arguments for the hardcore pro-palestinians. this conflict is too fucked, and there are way too many nuances, for there to be a clear winning side. if there was, there wouldn't be the heated discussion there is today. both sides focus on different aspects of the conflict, which i raised in one of my responses to raz. ffs, as if i even need to raise an argument for why people might support palestine.  :rolleyes:

Ok, I suppose "lots of other people side with Palestine, so they're probably in the right" isn't a racist argument, merely an extremely weak one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maximus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 09, 2014, 07:24:20 AM
Ok, I suppose "lots of other people side with Palestine, so they're probably in the right" isn't a racist argument, merely an extremely weak one.
Ad populum; not a fallacy one frequently encounters on languish.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on August 09, 2014, 05:06:28 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on August 09, 2014, 04:53:24 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 09, 2014, 04:16:13 AM
I'm going to have a trouble proving a negative.

i'll consider your argument conceded, then

That's not how logic works.

Though Raz didn't understand it either when he argued against intermediate species.

You can't prove a negative.

Wait, what?  When did I do this?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on August 09, 2014, 04:53:24 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 09, 2014, 04:16:13 AM
I'm going to have a trouble proving a negative.

i'll consider your argument conceded, then

You said " i'm still not seeing any evidence of this non-conspiratorial contention of yours."  I can't produce evidence of a non-conspiracy.  That's trying to a prove a negative.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: mongers on August 08, 2014, 06:01:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 08, 2014, 05:50:47 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 08, 2014, 05:05:26 PM
edit:

Googling, produces some rather neat pictures of the old city:

Very cool Mongers :)

Yeah, it's quite something that it's city built upon a city, upon the rubble of yet another city and so on.  At least that's my understanding of what makes up most of these tells.

the understanding is correct

LaCroix

Quote from: Maximus on August 09, 2014, 11:09:52 AMAd populum; not a fallacy one frequently encounters on languish.

ad populum would be if i had said "the majority of the world is pro-palestine, therefore pro-palestine is correct." i'm not appealing to the masses with my argument. especially since i never said, "now, i don't know the pro-palestinian argument is, but i assume because there are so many people out there that are pro-palestine, they must have valid reasons."

i'm pointing out that it's really scummy to label the other side of an argument as anti-semitic in this particular situation concerning two groups with a long history of hostility and eye-for-eye mentality.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I really would like to understand what Viking means about "intermediate species".  I've never heard of the term.  For some bizarre reason Viking seems to think That I'm closet creationist.  Probably because I don't like Dawkins.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: LaCroix on August 09, 2014, 02:22:52 PM
ad populum would be if i had said "the majority of the world is pro-palestine, therefore pro-palestine is correct." i'm not appealing to the masses with my argument. especially since i never said, "now, i don't know the pro-palestinian argument is, but i assume because there are so many people out there that are pro-palestine, they must have valid reasons."

i'm pointing out that it's really scummy to label the other side of an argument as anti-semitic in this particular situation concerning two groups with a long history of hostility and eye-for-eye mentality.

I asked you to present an argument that Palestine was in the right. You responded that you had already and quoted yourself:
Quotei mean, why do you think so many people dislike israel? they're not all anti-semitic - that's an intellectually bankrupt argument.

If you want to concede that this was non-responsive, I'll ask again. Give me an argument that Palestine is in the right which doesn't involve bigotry of one sort or another. Utilizing a double standard doesn't qualify.

This isn't to say people can't be critical of Israel. It's easy for us to sit in the peanut gallery and declare a pox on both their houses. But to actively side with Arafat, Hamas, et al? That's either anti-Jewish sentiment or willful blindness.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?