The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on June 11, 2014, 02:11:50 PM
Anybody got a map of what territory ISIS currently controls?
Basically the Euphrates:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/06/11/world/middleeast/isis-control-map.html?_r=1

But as I say they don't just take cities, they normally take the countryside first and then seize the city. For example in the case of Mosul the Iraqi government has had to fly in supplies for some time because transport by road wasn't safe.

Edit: Also this. Don't know the source but it agrees with the NYT and is clickable :)
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=206503076099972915830.0004fb81021906110e889&t=m&source=embed&ll=34.939985,41.616211&spn=6.302619,12.304687&z=6&dg=feature

Edit: Also this:

There are rumours that Revolutionary Guards are now crossing the border to help the government :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Zanza on June 11, 2014, 10:15:19 AM
Is ISIS just a proxy for Saudi Wahabbism?

No, ISIS is to Saudi Wahhabism what The Tea Party is to the US Communist Party.  These are the guys the crazy nutjobs think are crazy nutjobs. These are the guys Al-Qaeda thinks is too extreme. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

They sure control a lot of territory for being a radical minority of a radical minority.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 11, 2014, 01:45:34 PM
I don't remember the run-up to the war being that sectarian, if anything that would show a dangerous almost Arabist amount of local knowledge.

Not really, all it took was reading some of Poppy Bush's and General Schwarzkopf's memoirs on Gulf War I, and the reasons they outlined for not going to Baghdad were very specific about the sectarian chaos that removing the Hussein regime would cause in post-conflict environment.

But no, Don't Mess Wiff Texas thought he knew better than the men that orchestrated the most lopsided military victory since the suppresion of the Jewish Revolt of 71 AD.

Shia majority + "democracy" = What could happen? 

Tehran sends its regards.  And its thanks.

Tamas

If the Revolutionary Guard going is true, maybe these ISIS guys are for Iran what the "russian self defense militas" are for Putin? Forces to support so they destabilise and create pretext for intervention?

DGuller

I have some grossly outdated one.  It's from two hours ago.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on June 11, 2014, 03:10:47 PM
If the Revolutionary Guard going is true, maybe these ISIS guys are for Iran what the "russian self defense militas" are for Putin? Forces to support so they destabilise and create pretext for intervention?
Syrians, who are only fractionally less conspiracy minded than Hungarians, have suggested that they were funded by Syria and Iran. As I say in Syria they generally destroy the opposition forces before turning on Assad.

But the impression I get is that even if that were the case this has blownback massively. Maliki's a friendly government for Iran, they don't really want any Iraqi territory and they seem to be seriously panicked by what's happening. But that is as Chemi Shalev is putting it 'breaking BUT unconfirmed BUT possibly critical'.

Edit: This is interesting, ISIS are filming themselves symbolically destroying Sykes-Picot border post.

Also on the Iraqi collapse:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/11/mosul-isis-gunmen-middle-east-states
QuoteIraqi officials told the Guardian that two divisions of Iraqi soldiers - roughly 30,000 men - simply turned and ran in the face of the assault by an insurgent force of just 800 fighters.
:blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 11, 2014, 03:16:58 PM
QuoteIraqi officials told the Guardian that two divisions of Iraqi soldiers - roughly 30,000 men - simply turned and ran in the face of the assault by an insurgent force of just 800 fighters.

It is so disheartening.  These men are defending their homeland from murderers and somehow the murderers seem much more motivated than they are.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 11, 2014, 03:25:06 PM

It is so disheartening.  These men are defending their homeland from murderers and somehow the murderers seem much more motivated than they are.

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on June 11, 2014, 03:25:06 PM

appears that there IS an army in worse shape than the one from Ukraine...

Sheilbh

Depressing thing about that is a world where the Iraqi army and Maliki are 'the best' :bleeding:

This is the best single piece on it I've read:
http://arabist.net/blog/2014/6/11/malikis-most-solemn-hour
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 11, 2014, 02:31:26 PM
Basically the Euphrates:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/06/11/world/middleeast/isis-control-map.html?_r=1

But as I say they don't just take cities, they normally take the countryside first and then seize the city. For example in the case of Mosul the Iraqi government has had to fly in supplies for some time because transport by road wasn't safe.

Edit: Also this. Don't know the source but it agrees with the NYT and is clickable :)
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=206503076099972915830.0004fb81021906110e889&t=m&source=embed&ll=34.939985,41.616211&spn=6.302619,12.304687&z=6&dg=feature

Edit: Also this:

There are rumours that Revolutionary Guards are now crossing the border to help the government :mellow:

Thanks & also thanks to CK.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

My favourite response and proof that all politics is local is from the AKP MP who accused the Gulen movement of being behind ISIS :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!