The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 03, 2014, 07:32:15 AM
Quote from: mongers on September 01, 2014, 07:29:53 PM
And Germany is sending the Kurds some useful armaments:

Germany to supply arms to Kurds fighting IS in Iraq

Germany will also send 240 armour-piercing bazookas, 8,000 G3 rifles with two million rounds, and 8,000 of the newer G36 rifles, with four million rounds. Forty MG3 machine guns are also on the list, and 8,000 pistols.

Full item here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29012159

Indeed. :)  :smarty:
G3 rifles were already used by the paras in the Portuguese armed forces in the early sixties during the colonial wars (my father's generation). Initially, they complained since the Armalite they had (AR-10 for the Languish gun nuts) was lighter but then the G3 was more reliable so they ended up preferring it.

According to the inventory sheet posted earlier, though, they are G36s.  That's a different rifle, a 5.56mm designed in the 90s.

Syt

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 03, 2014, 11:39:02 AM
According to the inventory sheet posted earlier, though, they are G36s.  That's a different rifle, a 5.56mm designed in the 90s.

Probably not the full inventory sheet. Read again:

QuoteGermany will also send 240 armour-piercing bazookas, 8,000 G3 rifles with two million rounds, and 8,000 of the newer G36 rifles, with four million rounds.

So 16,000 rifles total.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Syt

We had a guy in our battery during basic who thought he could clean the trigger mechanism of his G3 better if he took it apart (which we had strict orders never, ever to do). How difficult could it be?

So he removed the three bolts that held the piece together and suddenly springs, bits and bobs were flying everywhere.

Realizing his problem he grudgingly reported to his sergeant.

He spent the next two hours running up and down the stairs of our three story building, doing push ups on each flight of stairs, while two sergeants sat with the pieces hunched over a tech manual and trying to solve the puzzle before the supply sergeant noticed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on September 03, 2014, 07:59:14 AM
My G3 was 30 years old at the time of my using it.

I'm guessing it was at least well-maintained.  The M60 issued to my squad in ROTC advanced camp was Vietnam-era and had definitely seen better days.  We could never get that thing to reliably fire more than 5 or 6 rounds at a time.  Then again, the M16A2s we had could not have been too old but were also worn the hell out. 

The M16A1s we shared with a local National Guard unit back at school were pristine, though.  Plus you could easily remove the thing that blocked the selecter switch from full-auto :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 03, 2014, 11:44:48 AM
Reading comprehension fail. :pinch:

Not really.  You believed your eyes instead of the BBC's reporter.  I'd do the same.  Its possible that Germany is sending another secret shipment that consists exclusively of 8,000 G3s and their ammo, but I'd say it is likelier that the BBC reporter just blew it.  I can't imagine why they would want to present the Kurds with unnecessary logistics problems by sending 8000 obsolete 7.62mm weapons when there surely are 4,000 G36s sitting around, if they want to send more assault rifles.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: derspiess on September 03, 2014, 11:58:56 AM

I'm guessing it was at least well-maintained.  The M60 issued to my squad in ROTC advanced camp was Vietnam-era and had definitely seen better days.  We could never get that thing to reliably fire more than 5 or 6 rounds at a time.  Then again, the M16A2s we had could not have been too old but were also worn the hell out. 

The M16A1s we shared with a local National Guard unit back at school were pristine, though.  Plus you could easily remove the thing that blocked the selecter switch from full-auto :D

Well, yeah. It never gave me any trouble. Some guys had issues with the thingies you put on the muzzle so you can properly fire blanks without having to manually reload after each shot, but that's about it. Same with our machine guns. Those were really fun. Or the Uzis. I was a crappy shooter, though. Even with pistols. The only thing I was half way decent with was the MG. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on September 03, 2014, 11:59:01 AM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 03, 2014, 11:44:48 AM
Reading comprehension fail. :pinch:

Not really.  You believed your eyes instead of the BBC's reporter.  I'd do the same.  Its possible that Germany is sending another secret shipment that consists exclusively of 8,000 G3s and their ammo, but I'd say it is likelier that the BBC reporter just blew it.  I can't imagine why they would want to present the Kurds with unnecessary logistics problems by sending 8000 obsolete 7.62mm weapons when there surely are 4,000 G36s sitting around, if they want to send more assault rifles.

Here's the full list. You may have noticed that the copy posted in the photo on BBC said "2" on top, indicating it's page 2.

EDITED FOR BETTER QUALITY COPIES
—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on September 03, 2014, 11:54:44 AM
We had a guy in our battery during basic who thought he could clean the trigger mechanism of his G3 better if he took it apart (which we had strict orders never, ever to do). How difficult could it be?

So he removed the three bolts that held the piece together and suddenly springs, bits and bobs were flying everywhere.

He spent the next two hours running up and down the stairs of our three story building, doing push ups on each flight of stairs, while two sergeants sat with the pieces hunched over a tech manual and trying to solve the puzzle before the supply sergeant noticed.

:lol:  We were sternly told to never disassemble the trigger assembly-- even though it's fairly simple on the M16 you almost need three hands to put it back in. 

We were told to strip the bolt down (except for the extractor) to clean it which wasn't difficult to do, but one time a dude lost his extractor pin so the entire squad spent an hour looking all over the room for it.  Turned out it fell into his pocket.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

derspiess

Hey, they're sending 25 Gulaschkanonen.  Send one my way, bitte.  Actually send one of each my way :)

DGuller

:lol:

Malthus

Well, don't leave us in suspense - was the trigger cleaned or not?

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Siege

Quote from: derspiess on September 03, 2014, 11:58:56 AM

Why would you want to shoot an M16 in auto?
Other than suppressing the enemy momentarily to allow a friendly element to maneuver and outflank their asses, there is no use for full auto in combat.
You do not kill the enemy in auto. You suppress the enemy in auto so other friendlies score by killing the enemy in semi mode.
In full auto you give up all the advantages of the M16 (accuracy, precision, low recoil, fast target re-acquiring between shots), and get all the disadvantages (clogs with carbon from the gas tube, foul up in the locking chamber, excessive barrel heat).

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"