The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

The one consolation to be found in the Steven Sotloff murder is it's a sign of how desperate ISIS now is, the US air-strikes and co-ordinated local offensives have put them on the backfoot.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

They're on the backfoot in Iraq, but they're still winning in Syria.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on September 02, 2014, 07:01:58 PM
The one consolation to be found in the Steven Sotloff murder is it's a sign of how desperate ISIS now is, the US air-strikes and co-ordinated local offensives have put them on the backfoot.

I don't see how it is a sign of desperation at all.

CountDeMoney

350 additional US personnel dispatched to Iraq to "protect" US diplomatic facilities.  That's about 1,000 peeps on the ground, from Green Beanies to diplomatic security to forward air controllers.

So can we please stop dicking around and just drop the first two brigades of the 82nd and their heavy slice in already?  Like General Zinni said this weekend, that's all we'd need to push ISIS's shit in and force them back into the Syrian mountains.

Razgovory

I like the idea of some raids, maybe special forces maybe something bigger.  Knock out some command and control and logistics and then just leave.  Let it be a warning to them.  Maybe the bastards will get the idea.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Oh, and in related news, we apparently bombed the assfuck out of a camp and moving vehicle in Somalia last night.  Whether or not Godane was in the car...well, they're still trying to find recognizable body parts.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on September 02, 2014, 08:35:38 PM
I like the idea of some raids, maybe special forces maybe something bigger.  Knock out some command and control and logistics and then just leave.  Let it be a warning to them.  Maybe the bastards will get the idea.

These guys don't strike me as the "take the hint" kind of crowd. 
Pretty sure the only thing these assholes will understand is 30,000 lbs of the blinding power of American sunshine righteously baking their dark age asses from 30,000 feet, courtesy of the fine people at Boeing Defense, Space & Security (NYSE: B52).

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 02, 2014, 08:46:53 PM

Pretty sure the only thing these assholes will understand is 30,000 lbs of the blinding power of American sunshine righteously baking their dark age asses from 30,000 feet, courtesy of the fine people at Boeing Defense, Space & Security (NYSE: B52).

That's good as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Sounds good.

And if the primary target has disappeared at the last moment, then move onto the secondary over Riyadh.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on September 01, 2014, 07:29:53 PM
And Germany is sending the Kurds some useful armaments:

Germany to supply arms to Kurds fighting IS in Iraq

Germany will also send 240 armour-piercing bazookas, 8,000 G3 rifles with two million rounds, and 8,000 of the newer G36 rifles, with four million rounds. Forty MG3 machine guns are also on the list, and 8,000 pistols.

Full item here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29012159

Indeed. :)  :smarty:
G3 rifles were already used by the paras in the Portuguese armed forces in the early sixties during the colonial wars (my father's generation). Initially, they complained since the Armalite they had (AR-10 for the Languish gun nuts) was lighter but then the G3 was more reliable so they ended up preferring it.

Syt

G3 assault rifles were also used by the Argentine soldiers in the Falkland War.

My G3 was 30 years old at the time of my using it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

One good course of action, which I assume the US is already doing to some extent, is to do the same as in Afghanistan to oust the Taliban. Send in special forces teams to work with local fighters, Kurds, Iraqi military and others, to provide air support by pinpointing targets. That requires relatitvely few soldiers and worked amazinginly well in Afghanistan and in the right circumstances is a huge force multiplier. I assume it'll work in Iraq vs ISIS as well. Then a larger and very effective bombing campaign could begin in earnest with the local ground troops taking initiative.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 02, 2014, 09:37:56 PM
I want some hot Strike Eagle action.
Chappy Sinclair and Doug Masters would bea ll over this shit.
PDH!