News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

70th Anniversary of D-Day

Started by Valmy, June 06, 2014, 11:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

My Grandfather fought with Patton's Third Army in France/Germany. He was a company cook IIRC.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 06, 2014, 12:02:26 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 06, 2014, 11:46:44 AM
Flanby delivered some banal, boring speeches along with a common barbarism among (wannabe) pedants, un faux imparfait du subjonctif.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Nazis lost, stop it.

Well, that's not the way I would describe Merkel (among others) falling nearly asleep during the speech but then the temperature was hot for Normandy, the chair comfy and the eyes closed.
Sarkozy was laughing at times OTOH

Valmy

That's Hollande's nickname?  That's awesome.  :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2014, 12:27:47 PM

That's Caramel pudding (Flanby is a famous brand) for the non-Francophones. Given by Fabius, no less.

Zanza

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 06, 2014, 12:26:15 PM
Well, that's not the way I would describe Merkel (among others) falling nearly asleep during the speech but then the temperature was hot for Normandy, the chair comfy and the eyes closed.
At least she seems to have brought Putin and Poroshenko together. That's her job and more important than listening to some festive speeches.

Syt

Well, I'm glad the invasion happened. Otherwise we might all be speaking Russian. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 06, 2014, 12:26:15 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 06, 2014, 12:02:26 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 06, 2014, 11:46:44 AM
Flanby delivered some banal, boring speeches along with a common barbarism among (wannabe) pedants, un faux imparfait du subjonctif.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Nazis lost, stop it.

Sarkozy was laughing at times OTOH

I miss Sarko.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 06, 2014, 12:30:50 PM

That's Caramel pudding (Flanby is a famous brand) for the non-Francophones. Given by Fabius, no less.

Is it similar to flan?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Being just under 100 miles north of Utah beach and the rest of normandy landing sites, there are airfields built and used in the invasion in all directions hereabouts. As well as other military structures disappearing back into the landscape.

So I'm often reminded of D-day on a weekly basis.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on June 06, 2014, 12:15:52 PM
My granddad had some cool WWII-related stories to tell but it was all second-hand or home front stuff.  When I joined Odd (should be "Old") Fellows in the early 90s we had quite a few WWII vets in the lodge and had all sorts of cool stories to tell.  I think three of them were fighter pilots (two Navy, one USAAF). 

The most interesting stories were from a guy who was an Army  field artillery sergeant (forget what unit) and he was involved in a lot of the heavy fighting in Western Europe 1944-45.  He said he saw a few "impressive" tank battles.

You're in the Odd Fellows?  I didn't know there even were any of those anymore... :hmm:

My grandfather didn't like to talk about the war.  He was on at least one bombing run where his plane got shot up and some of the other crewmen were killed.  It was after that he somehow managed to get transferred to a ground job.  His twin brother, OTOH, loved to talk about the war, and it's not like his experience wasn't traumatic either... he was a PBY Catalina pilot in the USN and was shot down off the New Guinea coast at one point.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on June 06, 2014, 12:39:43 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 06, 2014, 12:30:50 PM

Is it similar to flan?

Yes.

For you, its the same thing.

For Duque, Flans have flour, Caramel Pudding doesn't.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on June 06, 2014, 12:43:08 PM
You're in the Odd Fellows?  I didn't know there even were any of those anymore... :hmm:

Considerably fewer than there were a generation or two ago, but we're still kickin'.  Some lodges have closed down or consolidated, and some are quite active.  The upside is that most lodges' investments and assets have remained intact or have grown.  So there are a lot of funds available for member benefits, dinners/social activities, and sponsorship/charity. 

IOOF used to be huge, rivaling (at times surpassing) membership in Masonic lodges.  But we're a shell of what we used to be. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Is that the one that's basically just a closed social club for drinking, or am I thinking of the Elks?  I know they all do some charity work on the side, but I thought there was one that didn't have degrees, ritual, shit like that.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on June 06, 2014, 01:33:22 PM
Is that the one that's basically just a closed social club for drinking, or am I thinking of the Elks?  I know they all do some charity work on the side, but I thought there was one that didn't have degrees, ritual, shit like that.

That might be Elks, dunno.  We don't have any official prohibition against alcohol but I've never seen any in the Lodge.  Maybe when we go out to eat some of us will order a beer or two with our meal (which is apparently frowned on by some members but whatever).

And we have a ton of rituals.  Only three degrees for the basic level, but there are other internal IOOF groups you can join that have their own degrees & ranks (including the official "semi-military" wing, the concept of which is hilarious).

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.